TSE & 45's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 15th December 2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Default TSE & 45's

I've been tagging along someone else's thread and it's time to start mine. Well along in the build and I'm stumped with the primary wires on the Hammond 270fx.There Black/Grey & White. Also need assistance with the 125ese. Testing phase is fast approaching if I can get this hooked up right.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hamm...source=iu&pf=m

Last edited by mkane77g; 15th December 2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 15th December 2016, 02:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The older Hammond power transformers only had 2 wires for the primary. They were designed a long time ago when the US line voltage was about 115 volts. Our line voltage is quite a bit higher today, so these old Hammonds were famous for putting out too much voltage.

If your line voltage is in the 120+ volt range (mine is 122 to 124 volts) then use the white and black wires. Tape up or otherwise insulate the grey wire, do not connect it to anything.

The 125 series uses a single primary winding and a multi tapped secondary to give a wide range of impedance values.

For a 45 tube and 8 ohm speakers, use the yellow and black wires for the speaker connections, tape up the others. For a 45 with 4 ohm speakers, use the green and black wires. The black wire is the "cold" side and should be grounded.

After the amp is running properly you can try all the different taps (keep the black wire connected, just try the different colors to see which really works best with your tubes and speakers.

In theory is makes no difference which primary wires (brown or blue) goes to the plate or B+. In practice a small difference may be heard due to stray capacitance. After the amp is making good sound you may try swapping the wires. Keep both channels wired the same at all times to avoid having an out of phase channel resulting in loss of bass.
Old 15th December 2016, 02:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is this what you have with the 270fx? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ha...MVhKSJnGsQM%3A
Ah, too slow!
Old 15th December 2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much to the both of you. I'm going to make George proud. My top plate's ordered and if I can stop making kindling out of the wood I'm going to use as a base we may just have something here.

I see AES sells these tube savers. The sockets I have grip. Much more that my other 4 pins do.

Last edited by mkane77g; 15th December 2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 17th December 2016, 12:18 AM   #5
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

The base is made. I used 3/4" Cherry. It will be interesting how it sands out. If it looks horrible I'm going to vinyl wrap it. And down the road I'll try again, during upgrade time.
Old 20th December 2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Wheres my connection to test filament supply.?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th December 2016, 06:09 PM   #7
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Powered up board and C1 pucked it's guts out
Old 20th December 2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Wondering if C4 has anything to do with C1 failure. It's 68uf instead of 47uf.
Old 20th December 2016, 06:38 PM   #9
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
was the polarity of c1 correct?
Old 20th December 2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Damn, it was not! Hoping Rat shack has one. Could I substitute something else for the time being like a film cap

Last edited by mkane77g; 20th December 2016 at 07:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!