• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE & 45's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you going to fit everything to the top plate? Even so, I would suggest having the bottom removable might be a good idea. My type 26 has NO bottom, for ease of access, but I lined the sides with aly foil for screening. Others have used copper foil, but I had the aly!
BTW, what is the circuit for this amp? I have only seen this thread; I assume it is in another thread?

BTW, if you are mounting Hammond chokes (which have a tendency to vibrate, I have been advised) to a metal plate, using these rubber mirror screw bushes can help isolate them. Available from your local glass merchant, probably. I find them very effective.
RUBBER_MIRROR_BUFFERS77310_thumb.jpg

7 hrs later and we have mucic. FM with a passive volume control. B+ is at 150v, B- 195v. Seems low. Should I change the value of C4? I'm tickled it's a music maker.

Glad you got it running.

B+ and B- look reversed.... B+ looks low. Do you have a choke in place of r4? Increasing c4 will increase b+ voltage. Check the rectifier tube data sheet it will specify a maximum value for c4. I ended up with a very low value for c4 to get the b+ voltage in range.

Thanks. I'll get a few different flavors for C4. I have 4 Multimeters. I good digital and 3 cheap analogue and can't hardy figure out where to place the dial let alone read the meter. I'll get a couple more decent units. And My top plate arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yes, white and black. It is high. What can I do get it near 300v?
It's amazing how many mistakes one can make doing a build like this. I got the hole wrong for the rectifier tube so I ordered one of those socket savers hoping it fit's thru the hole. If I have to take a file to this I'll be a bit upset. I also put the hole for the fuse to close to the IEC plug so I now have to use one of those push in plugs. And I got the rabbet wrong in my base so I cannibalized a bit to make it fit. Planned on making another one from Walnut anyway. Taking a break.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

..... What can I do get it near 300v?

There are different ways of lowering the B+.

That appears to be a 5U4 rectifier tube in your build. At your present experience level, a different rectifier tube is probably the right method.

You can realize a significant B+ reduction by replacing the 5U4 with a 5Y3 type (preferred) or 5W4 rectifier. Either can supply enough current for this amp with 45's.

If that is a 5R4 rectifier in your build, you will still realize some B+ reduction, but not as much.

Win W5JAG

edit: be advised the Sovtek 5Y3 is not a 5Y3, so avoid it. It is more like a fragile 5V4.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.