• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE High B negativce?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted this while I was building My TSE with 300B tubes. I'm using an Edcor XPWR131-120 power transformer with 660 volt center tapped. I have an 8.2uf cap for C4. My B+ is at 365 to 370 volts depending on what my AC is doing. That what I was aiming for. But my B- is at -280 volts. The schematic says -150 volts. When I posted this I was told the that the B- on the schematic was for 45 tubes and the high B- was OK with 300B tubes?
In jdrouin's build thread, he says he changed R7 to 6.8K ohms to lower his B- to 150 volts with positive results.
Is this something that I should do?

Last edited:
I also removed one hexfred and changed the value of R7. The two resistors are now: R6 (10k 25w) and R7 (6.8K 25W). I used 25w heatsinked chassis mount resistors to burn off all the extra heat. See here and pack to post #134 in that thread.

FWIW, other TSE 300B builders say a B- of -300V is fine. There may be other factors at play in my build, but I noticed a substantial improvement in sound by bringing the B- down to -150V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.