• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE supplemental cap - wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The wiring diagrams show the supplemental cap wired 2 different ways. Which one is correct for the basic setup? See side by side images from the wiring diagrams page.

I finally got my Edcors and this is the only thing left to resolve before I power up. Thanks.

Hopefully this image link works...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• CapQuestion.jpg
    CapQuestion.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi Hannibal 8,

Good luck on firing it up for the first time. Always exciting.

If you follow the instructions on the Tubelab SSE assembly manual/Wiring Diagrams, it is suggested to start without all the supplemental stuff like chokes and external caps. Perhaps that is the best way. You can add the external cap later.

Myself not being the most experienced, and not having the board in front of me right now, I wanted to answer because you've been waiting a little bit. I'm sure the more experienced people will chime in later.

There could be two sources of your confusion, and I'm wondering which you are running into.
First, the two images you show both come from the Wiring Diagrams page. However, if you read carefully, the one is a bottom view, assuming a chassis mounted PCB, while the other is a top view.
And then I noticed that in one image the cap and the center tap are connected together to one pin of the connector, while in the other they are connected to one pin each, using both pins on the T1-RED-YEL connector. Actually, this is equivalent and you can choose either. Just check the traces on your board: you should be able to see that both pins on the T1-RED-YEL connector are connected to the same copper trace. This is also clearly visible in this image that I found in another post:
http://s26.postimg.org/uv5ax54ah/IMG_4491.jpg

As I said, I don't have a board in front of me at the moment, so be sure to check that I'm right :)

Good luck

joris

I looked at some other builders posted photos and it looked like possibly the 2nd image was incorrect so I went with example #1 in George's wiring diagram. I fired it up and it works perfectly. No smoke, no drama.

Listened for a few hours last night with the 6L6 tubes. I think this thing sounds fantastic. Vocals sound great and project nicely

Nicely recorded music really shines on this thing. Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" is just stunning.

Will play around with other tubes and different musical styles in the evenings ahead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.