• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE listening experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wanted to make a quick post on this amp.

I had a tough week. Tough work debates and high stress situations. This guy made an amp and I built it. Basic. Not even a choke.

And I'm 100 miles away from everything in a cabin. Tonight I walked out to my dusty barn full of old tractors and 4 wheelers....garden junk and animal junk.

I turned that little amp on....nothing fancy. Little speakers I built.

Pulled the lawn chair up to the wood stove and in the glow I listened to a record.

Mogwai CODY side A

I am not sure what this hobby is....it seems to be a lot of arguing on the Internet. But this man (an artist by my estimate) gave me the chance to build my own amp. And it is wonderful.

I don't know all the lingo and don't have the desire to be an online expert. I am just a nobody who built the thing.

And it is wonderful! I closed my eyes and for a moment I wasn't sitting alone. I wasn't at work, I wasn't working on the farm. I was somewhere else.

That little amp is magic and I don't care if something better exists. I have read and watched the arguments arise.........

I want to say thank you to the designer and encourage listeners to build this SSE. A tumor twice destroyed my left ear bones...the little ones...and I decided to fill my remaining hearing with the best sounds I could. This gave me the chance. Art is subjective and I apologize for any offense. I am a young man and I hope I have many years to enjoy this music. My little girl wore safety glasses and helped me, and no oscilloscope tracings can mar that memory.

If you buy pinto beans at the store you may enjoy them. My pinto beans come from earth that I worked and we shell them at the table as a family. I enjoy them more. It is subjective and true all the same.

Thank you George....for this chance.

What a great post! I suspect most people in the hobby are just like you. They enjoy what they are doing, they just don't have your ability to put it into words. I, for one have been happy with everything I have ever built and am in awe and thankful to those who have made it possible. Unfortunately, the naysayers and trollers get more space than they deserve.

Enjoy,
Me

My Latino built VTA ST-120 got me into the world of tubes.

I was told that some solid state sounds as good as tubes. One component was a Yamaha CA-2010 which I bought new in the 1970's. The one I have now is nice...but it's the same as tubes.

Another is a McIntosh MC-2105. It too sounds OK....but it's not the same as well.

I also have a Marantz 2330 receiver that I've been told sounds great but I haven't listened to yet. Just to check it out I may try it for a few days before I put it up for sale along with the other stuff.

I finally have my Digi-Key and Mouser shopping carts full with the recommended parts for building 2 SSE's. I also have a Variac on order. I figure since I've never built an amp successfully I should plan on making mistakes on the first one and once I work out the bugs I can put one together that hopefully will be nice enough for the living room.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.