• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE 45 amp heat sink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How adequate is the standard heat sink for the amp built with 45 tubes? I originally was just going to add another of the same heat sink to the back of the one soldered to the board, then I got a small TO-220 size sink to add and finally I have a .250 inch thick piece of aluminum plate and a 2" X 4" heat sink that I could drill and tap for 4-40. A board member here sent me the large heat sinc but memory does not serve me well.

I started and new job a year ago and have not done much else but put attention there.

I know cooler is better but is it necessary?

I put my original TSE in a (too) small enclosed Lexan box with the stock heat sinks. There were no issues with 45 tubes.

The problems started when I decided to run 300B's in that same amp with the small heat sinks and power transformer. The filament regulator would shut down after about half an hour. I added a heat sink off of an old 486 computer and everything was OK.....and still is 6 years later. I did swap out the power transformer with an identical unit after the first one got wet during a hurricane.

Unless there is no airflow at all the stock heat sink is OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.