Voltage on rectifier pins 4 & 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 22nd April 2015, 12:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage on rectifier pins 4 & 6

Can anyone answer this for me?

I checked the Voltage between pins 4 & 6 and ground on my SSE. There were no tubes installed. I got around 190VAC. My trafo is 375-0-375. In Ty"s checkout guide her shows just over 400 V for the same secondaries.

I have installed 1n4007's onto the primaries as protection for the rectifier tube according to George's recommendations. If they're essentially blocking half the AC waveform, then wouldn't I expect about half the 375 V which would give me around 187 V???

I also used the 120v tap rather than the 115 volt tap. My AC typically sits around 116, so I assumed that conservative would be better, although it was more like 111 vac on Sunday. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:08 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutterworth View Post

I have installed 1n4007's onto the primaries as protection for the rectifier tube according to George's recommendations. If they're essentially blocking half the AC waveform, then wouldn't I expect about half the 375 V which would give me around 187 V???

No, if I understand you correctly.

You are feeding a transformer with pulsed DC and expecting it to work properly?
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I meant the HV secondaries !!!!

Charlie
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:53 AM   #4
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutterworth View Post

I have installed 1n4007's onto the <secondaries> as protection for the rectifier tube according to George's recommendations. If they're essentially blocking half the AC waveform, then wouldn't I expect about half the 375 V which would give me around 187 V???

If you did not have filter capacitors and used a TRUE RMS voltmeter it would read half of the output voltage, yes 187V. I don't know how your voltmeter would react to halfwave rectified waveforms.

If it was still full wave rectified (from both sides of 375-0-375) then the TRUE RMS meter would read 375-0.6V and capacitors would hold the peak voltage at 1.414-375-0.6

In either case the peak would still be at 1.414*375-0.6 so any cap would hold the peak level it was charged up to.

Helpful?

Last edited by DUG; 22nd April 2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 22nd April 2015, 03:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very helpful, thank-you. I am glad to know that sometimes my logic proves accurate. And I do not have a true rms meter.

Your wisdom is much appreciated.

Charlie

Hide this!Advertise here!