• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Help me get my SSE working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I finished my SSE build this weekend (in case George is reading I should start by saying thanks!! I really enjoyed the detailed build instructions.)

Anyway, I started it up and it was working great for about 5 minutes. Then I (unnecessarily) turned it off to switch the source, and I turned it back on and the rectifier tube made some fireworks and a fuse blew.

So I took it apart and jumpered for solid state rectification. That worked great for 20 minutes, and I left the room and came back and it was no longer running (with a blown fuse again).

Subsequent fuses blew immediately on power up.

For some reason I cut the Fred diodes out of the board and started with a fresh rectifier tube. The fuse blew again immediately.

Then I decided to trace things forward from the beginning, and disconnected the power transformer from the board (all the leads separately taped off), and turned on the power. The fuse blew again!

Is my power transformer shot? (I am using 3 amp slow blow fuses -- maybe these were not restrictive enough?).

My setup is:
Edcor XPWR035, CXC125-10H-200mA choke, motor run cap, CXSE25-8-5K output transformers.

(Edcor XPWR035 with CXC125-10H-200mA choke, motor run cap, and big Edcor output transformers).

Well, the power transformer keeps blowing fuses with nothing connected.
And I am getting different resistances from the center tap to each of the B+ leads (it is 25 ohms to one lead and 12 to the other) which seems like a bad sign. I guess it is shot. Any guesses as to how this might have happened?

Also, I'm sure this is irrelevant, but is it normal for the laminations to have visible rust on them? Mine came like that from Edcor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.