• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE - CXSE25-8-5K or GXSE15-8-5K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm planning to build Simple SE amp and have a hard time deciding on the OPT.

Should i use CXSE25-8-5K or GXSE15-8-5K ?
The price difference between those two is almost $200 (incl. delivery) which is quite significant.

I'm planning to use Overnight Sensations speakers.

Also - would Triad Magnetics C-14X work well as a choke?

Thanks!

I have two SSE's one of them has the CXSE25-8-5K opt's and the other has the GXSE15-8-5K.

Of the two I have a slight preference for the bigger opt's mainly because of the more deep and
solid lower end at any power level. For the rest of the frequency range I don't detect much difference
between the two.
I can attest to the fact that the shipping cost to Canada is very high but think of
those builders in Europe, Asia or Australia where shipping can be equal to or even higher than
the cost of the product.
The Triad Magnetics should be okay, I got my chokes from Edcor.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! This is a reply i was waiting for.

Few more questions
1. Did anyone installed VU meters on Simple SE? Does it affect the sound in any way?
2. What about installing voltmeter panel to see tube voltages? Wouldn't it make a perfect sense together with cathode bias resistor selection switch?
3. Is there a recent up to date part list available somewhere?

2. What about installing voltmeter panel to see tube voltages? Wouldn't it make a perfect sense together with cathode bias resistor selection switch?

I installed voltage test points in order to monitor voltages using a dmm...

Looking at your speaker choice, I noticed they have a sensitivity of 83db which is not exactly efficient for tubes... you'll be able to drive them, but the sound may not be the greatest, especially in triode mode. Tubes are happiest when the speaker sensitivity is in the upper 80's (>88db, somewhat happy) into the 90's (very happy).

I installed voltage test points in order to monitor voltages using a dmm...

Looking at your speaker choice, I noticed they have a sensitivity of 83db which is not exactly efficient for tubes... you'll be able to drive them, but the sound may not be the greatest, especially in triode mode. Tubes are happiest when the speaker sensitivity is in the upper 80's (>88db, somewhat happy) into the 90's (very happy).

To the OP: do you already have the Overnight Sensations, or are you planning a build? You might consider the Overnight Sensations MTM instead, which have a higher sensitivity (estimated by the designer to be 86-87 dB). I built a pair of those and was really happy with them with my SSE before I built a new set of Two Pis.

--TWH

To the OP: do you already have the Overnight Sensations, or are you planning a build? You might consider the Overnight Sensations MTM instead, which have a higher sensitivity (estimated by the designer to be 86-87 dB). I built a pair of those and was really happy with them with my SSE before I built a new set of Two Pis.

--TWH
i'm done with the crossover and the enclosures are already primed several times. too late going to MTM :(

but i also have some Axiom Audion M3's and my favorite Energy Veritas V-Mini's.

And it the amp goes well, i just need to build some new high efficiency speakers :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.