Terminal Strips: Thumbs Up Or Down? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 27th October 2014, 03:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Terminal Strips: Thumbs Up Or Down?

My original SSE build was without them figuring eliminating a connector was a good thing. I also didn't quite trust the little screw-downs.

Now that I have removed the wires from the board for the move to the new chassis and ruined more than one eyelet, I'm re-thinking. I like to tinker.

It's also a PITA to get tinned 18ga. into the smallish eyelets.

Opinions?
Old 31st October 2014, 08:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bill -
One option (that I did) was to install turrets into the board. That way I can solder/desolder to the turret instead of the board.
Old 31st October 2014, 10:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
All older and reliable amplifiers were built with paxolin strip terminal strips. Dead easy to replace components and no through hole pcboard to worry about. Yes most definitely a yes!
Old 4th December 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
YashN is offline YashN  Canada
diyAudio Member

The terminals make it all a bit too fiddly for me: while the principle is very good (you can easily reconfigure the amp), the time taken just to get two wires to stay put in the terminal holes while I screw them in tight is just too much. And it doesn't really work well, until the terminal casing itself gives way...

The holes should be wider.

The turrets seems a good idea.
Old 5th December 2014, 12:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

These Euro style terminal blocks are idiot proof:
http://apexjr.com/images/EUROTERMINALBLOCK1.jpg
Old 5th December 2014, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use the bakelite terminal strips with soldering lugs in almost all my builds and rebuilds.... they come in many configurations...with or w/o ground lugs. Just bend the wire or wires, solder...
Old 13th December 2014, 05:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The original TSE board does not use the terminal strips. Many a board has been ruined by a user soldering or unsoldering a transformer wire. Response to the terminal strips has been favorable and I use them in all my projects to make things easier to build and take apart.

There have been no issues, with one exception. I would not use them in the final build of a guitar amp that will spend most of its life sitting on top of the speaker cabinet, especially if it is a bass guitar amp. The constant vibration will cause the screws to loosen over the years.

Hide this!Advertise here!