• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Lundahl OPTs with TSE and 45s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, the LL1663 transformers (5K:8ohms) look like they will work with 45s, but I am not sure about the different versions: 40mA, 50mA, 80mA and 100mA DC current. I am guessing that the lowest is enough - but is there any harm in having higher max current (and lower inductance)? I will be running them at around 320v and ~27mA as recommended in the TSE description.
Also in the UK I can't use the recommended 270FX PT with 240V mains. I was going to try the beefier 370EX which has a range of primary inputs ( 550V C.T. @ 144ma. 50 5V C.T. @ 3A 6.3V C.T. @ 4A). Does anyone have other suggestions? Henry

Hi Canersahin, thanks for the reply. I have a 300b amp (not TSE) and it doesn't produce enough bass for me. I am now biamped: I made a active line crossover (Marchand) and now send everything below 150hz to a solid state amp and woofer. It works well for me. Also the BX2 speaker specs recommend an amp minimum of 30W RMS. I doubt the TSE will do this, perhaps wait for an opinion from an expert (I am not one).

About the output transformers, I didn't know that there is such a range of maximum DC currents available from Lundahl. Do you know if it is beneficial to go with a maximum DC current (100mA) which gives a lower inductance, or to try and match it to the 45s and use 40mA? Henry

Hello Henry,

Well that what I was wondering about speakers to drive TSE. In market almost every speakers recommended minimum power is 25W RMS. I wonder what kind of speakers people use to drive TSE.

Lundahl is a great iron but they are lil bit expensive tho :) Good things comes with cost thats true. For example, LL1163 is for 120 euro. And I can get (almost) two JS-6123HS with lots of output options for that price. ( 85$ for piece )

Well for your question we need someone with experience. I would like to learn that too.

Caner.

Hi Canersahin, thanks for the reply. I have a 300b amp (not TSE) and it doesn't produce enough bass for me. I am now biamped: I made a active line crossover (Marchand) and now send everything below 150hz to a solid state amp and woofer. It works well for me. Also the BX2 speaker specs recommend an amp minimum of 30W RMS. I doubt the TSE will do this, perhaps wait for an opinion from an expert (I am not one).

About the output transformers, I didn't know that there is such a range of maximum DC currents available from Lundahl. Do you know if it is beneficial to go with a maximum DC current (100mA) which gives a lower inductance, or to try and match it to the 45s and use 40mA? Henry

Hi

I have a TSE with 300b tubes. The OPT is a Lundhal 1664/70mA. I ordered them directly from
Lundahl in Sweden (i live in sweden). When i ordered them Lundahl asked what mA the tube will have. Had something to do with
bass respons if i'm not misstaken..

I'm running my TSE with a pair of floorstanding Audiovector Si3. Sure the bass respons isn't the
best, not like a PP amp, but the sound level is enough for me.

Regards //Daniel

Hi Canersahin,
the BX2 speaker are a bookshelf speaker. In general, if you what an efficient speakers more then 90db they must be floor stand speakers. (for more 20 litter volume)
There is a limit for how low a bookshelf speakers would go.
In my opinion sound in 20% Amp and 80% speakers. If you want more bass at high volume (with the TSE), you'll have to change your speakers.

I'm running my 300B TSE with my Canton 940 90db, and happy with the bass and volume level it produce :)

Did you ever thought about building the PP Amp?

Nope I haven't thought building an PP, it is way too complex for me :)

Well I think I will get second hand Klipsch Heresy series, if I can find one. Well BX2 caught my eyes because they look cool and cheaper than most of its competitor :)

Floor stand it is then. Maybe I can get pretty cheap for starting then I can upgrade them

Hi Canersahin,
the BX2 speaker are a bookshelf speaker. In general, if you what an efficient speakers more then 90db they must be floor stand speakers. (for more 20 litter volume)
There is a limit for how low a bookshelf speakers would go.
In my opinion sound in 20% Amp and 80% speakers. If you want more bass at high volume (with the TSE), you'll have to change your speakers.

I'm running my 300B TSE with my Canton 940 90db, and happy with the bass and volume level it produce :)

Did you ever thought about building the PP Amp?

Nope I haven't thought building an PP, it is way too complex for me :)

Well I think I will get second hand Klipsch Heresy series, if I can find one. Well BX2 caught my eyes because they look cool and cheaper than most of its competitor :)

Floor stand it is then. Maybe I can get pretty cheap for starting then I can upgrade them

Buying second hand speakers is the cheapest way to own a "better then entry" level speakers.
Don't rush with the speakers. You have time till you finish your Amp.
Klipsch are very good high efficient, good for the buck speakers.
(In my country they cost more then double then in the US)

Haha tell me about it, the guy sells them for 3000euro (mint) :D thats pretty crazy. I will try to get em on ebay or else where. I am willing to pay customs and stuff. Yeah I am not in rush buying them unless i find a real bargain :)

Buying second hand speakers is the cheapest way to own a "better then entry" level speakers.
Don't rush with the speakers. You have time till you finish your Amp.
Klipsch are very good high efficient, good for the buck speakers.
(In my country they cost more then double then in the US)

Canersahin, for that money you can make your own speakers. I made speakers similar to these (Tip_81). The carpentry is simple as the woofer is in a box and the rest is open baffle. My speakers are 96db and sound good with 300b amp. But to get more bass, I now have a line level cross over and the bass (<150hz) goes to a separate solid state amp. It sounds amazing now. Henry

Hello Henry,

How much did you spend to build your speakers? Estimated.

Canersahin, for that money you can make your own speakers. I made speakers similar to these (Tip_81). The carpentry is simple as the woofer is in a box and the rest is open baffle. My speakers are 96db and sound good with 300b amp. But to get more bass, I now have a line level cross over and the bass (<150hz) goes to a separate solid state amp. It sounds amazing now. Henry

Hi, does anyone have PSUD installed, I am running a mac and can't use it. I was thinking of going with a choke input filter, but don't know which one to use. Lundahl has a good variety:
Type Inductance Rec. DC current Saturating current DC resistance LL1638 / 10H 10H 150 mA 215 mA 36 ohms LL1638 / 4H 4H 400 mA 575 mA 36 ohms LL1638 / 8H 8H 200 mA 290 mA 36 ohms LL1673 / 10H 10H 200 mA 290 mA 60 ohms LL1673 / 15H 15H 140 mA 200 mA 60 ohms LL1673 / 20H 20H 100 mA 145 mA 60 ohms LL1685 / 100mA 17H 100 mA 145 mA 130 ohms LL1685 / 160mA 10H 160 mA 230 mA 130 ohmsCould anyone suggest one that would work with 45 tube on a TSE board?
Henry

Hello Henry,

How much did you spend to build your speakers? Estimated.

I went with a higher end version:
Fostex 208ez £350 for pair
Fountek ribbon tweeter neocd2 £150 for pair
Eminence woofers Definimax 4015lf £200 for pair (ex demo)
Coils, Jantzen caps, wood £150

Everything bought from Europe Audio except the woofers.
Europe Audio - Home page
They are very slow but deliver in the end.

I needed a router to cut the holes for the drivers, but otherwise very easy to build.

Henry

Here are some pics. I am planning on making speaker grills to cover the drivers - I know the purists would disapprove, but I prefer the look and with kids and cats around it is a bit less risky. Henry.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 145
They look pretty cool, but I think I will stick to my budget :) I have like 500$ ~ 600$ to spend for speakers. I wonder if I can make Klipsch Heresy clone for that price :)

Here are some pics. I am planning on making speaker grills to cover the drivers - I know the purists would disapprove, but I prefer the look and with kids and cats around it is a bit less risky. Henry.

Hi, does anyone have PSUD installed, I am running a mac and can't use it. I was thinking of going with a choke input filter, but don't know which one to use. Lundahl has a good variety:
Type Inductance Rec. DC current Saturating current DC resistance LL1638 / 10H 10H 150 mA 215 mA 36 ohms LL1638 / 4H 4H 400 mA 575 mA 36 ohms LL1638 / 8H 8H 200 mA 290 mA 36 ohms LL1673 / 10H 10H 200 mA 290 mA 60 ohms LL1673 / 15H 15H 140 mA 200 mA 60 ohms LL1673 / 20H 20H 100 mA 145 mA 60 ohms LL1685 / 100mA 17H 100 mA 145 mA 130 ohms LL1685 / 160mA 10H 160 mA 230 mA 130 ohmsCould anyone suggest one that would work with 45 tube on a TSE board?
Henry

I know this is old, but I do have PSUD and can run the sim if you still need it. PM me.

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.