• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Toroidal PT for SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I came a cross and interesting thread re using a toroidal PT for an SE board

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/148378-tubelab-se-alternate-power-transformer.html

Due to space (and cost) considerations I would like to use a toroid also. Has anybody done anything in that vein since the link was posted back in 2009? I don't want to be unwinding transformers if I don't have to, but I will probably use two (or three) transformers if need be

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
One of the only issues I've encountered (at least with Antek toroids) is that they don't have a 5V heater for tube rectifiers.

Indeed, I don't want to start unwinding trans coils just yet.

I was thinking of going solid state rectifier (I have a box full of MUR860 laying about) but I'm not sure how to achieve a + 300V(ish) B+ AND a -150V(ish) off the same secondary.

Paul

Unwinding toroid isn't that hard. It's a fun learning experience. If the space is an issue, that's more reason to use just 1 transformer. :scratch2: :nod:

A "fun learning experience" is getting a massage in Chinatown. :)

I'm a notoriously slow builder (and I mean sloooooow), and I am building a Bottlehead Smash and two line conditioners at the same time, so I cannot be putting extra stuff in my path. I also don't know how to measure the voltages to figure out when I've unwound enough to get to 5v. (how do you measure btw?)

I'm actually thinking of going solid state rectifying on the HT side and in so doing eliminating the need for a 5v secondary.

Regards
Cleet.

hi,

I also can share my experience with toro PT for SE - for may 6C33C (you already know that this babes loves to eat current a lot ) I use two 200W transformers - one per channel. I put them on the L-shaped steel angle and insulate from chassis with rubber O-rings under screws. No vibration or hum or buzz - then put over them 130x130x130 mm transformer cover.
They are Indel (poland) transformers - specifically designed for tube amps with screening and will not cost you a kidney :D

Attachments

• DSC00632.sized.jpg
    DSC00632.sized.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 171
Hi Paul,

How is the project going? Have you decided which OPT to get?

Hi Zman

Still waiting on parts. As a slow builder (I travel a lot and will be in Africa most of October and Novemebr) I am not planning to be finished before lets say mid December.

I ordered the James Audio transformers. Apart from being very aesthetically pleasing to me, the fact that I can can configure for either 2.5K or 3.5K loads and the 4 & 8 ohm taps was a big draw card. I think I'll put the primary inputs on a switch so I can toggle between 2.5K and 3.5K impedence and let my ear decide which is the better.

Regards
Paul

hi,
I put them on the L-shaped steel angle and insulate from chassis with rubber O-rings under screws. No vibration or hum or buzz - then put over them 130x130x130 mm transformer cover.

Hi

I have never seen that arrangement before. I must defnitely keep that in mind in the future.

What design/circuit are you using for you 6C33? I love that tube. I have a ASL 6C33 amp and in the back of my mind I always wanted to build one. I have always wondered why they aren't more popular.

Paul

Safe travels Paul and keep us posted on your progress.

Have you ordered a choke?

Thank you.

I have not considered the choke yet.

I'm using a 12"x8"x3" Hammond box, so it's going to be very compact. I'm punching holes for the tube sockets and reverse building the board; components on the bottom, sockets on the top, mounting it 1/4" from to cover for a conventional tube amp look. Space is limited, so I think the choke will need be inside the chassis.

BTW, the Toshiba 2SK3563 is obsolete. Can anybody recommend an alternative? My knowledge on transisors is limited so I'm not sure what to look for.

thanks
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.