Mounting top plate to chassis with magnets? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 22nd July 2014, 06:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mounting top plate to chassis with magnets?

I'm working on designing the chassis for my SSE and am planning to do a wooden frame with an aluminum top plate. One idea I've had is to mount the top plate to the frame using magnets (something like Magnetic Grill Guides 0.395" Dia. x 0.2" H 8 Pcs.) instead of screws. I like the idea of having fewer visible screws on top. Any reason that's a bad idea?

--TWH
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:05 AM   #2
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

None...

I'm building a speaker with black glass top and base plates. The base bolts in, but the top is fixed with magnets 19x4mm. The only disadvantage is that the top needs to be thicker than the magnet if you like a recessed magnet, or you've to recess the wood for a protruding magnet to go all the way in, or some other method of hiding the excess. With glass or wood that is usually not a problem, but for metal it might be.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I routed a 3mm groove on the inside of the side panels. The top plate slides in from the back of the chassis. The back panel is then secured to the side panels using 4 screws. Gives a clean look and a solid construction, I think.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (542.2 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by zimmer64; 22nd July 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 24th July 2014, 02:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I see no electrical reason why magnets won't work. I am concerned with their holding ability when moving the amp if the magnets are the only thing fastening the transformer laden top plate to the box.

I have also used the grooved sides method although I made the groove with multiple table saw passes.

I built a TSE with a 1/4 inch Lexan top plate which sat in a groove cut in the sides. The 4 sides were all miter cut and glued together. That amp used the big Edcor OPT's. It has been together for about 4 years with no issue.

I made a SPP with a .100 aluminum top plate that sits is a groove. Three sides are glued, but the back is attached to the box via 4 screws on the inside through aluminum angle in the corners.
Old 24th July 2014, 05:52 AM   #5
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

The 19x4 magnets are quoted at 7 kilograms per pair, or 28kilograms for 4 pairs. Here's an example of a slightly bigger one: 24mm dia x 5mm thick N42 Neodymium Magnet - 8kg Pull | first4magnets.com
Old 24th July 2014, 06:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My wife and I (important for the WAF) worked on a design and mockup tonight. I think I'm going to mount the transformers, choke, and motor run capacitor inside the chassis. Only the tubes will be exposed on the top. The sides will be blond colored wood (probably maple) with corners/legs made from mahogany or walnut. Very much inspired by scleratus' build of Tom Christiansen's Damn Good 300b amplifier design. The volume knob will be made of the same wood as the corners.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thoughts?

--TWH
Old 24th July 2014, 07:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Looks like that last picture didn't post correctly. Here's the image of the mockup:

Click the image to open in full size.

--TWH

Hide this!Advertise here!