Which KT88-98 tubes? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 1st July 2014, 08:05 PM   #1
royd55 is offline royd55  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which KT88-98 tubes?

One of my kt88-98 tubes went out today. It just says Made in China on it.
I am going to replace both tubes and would appreciate input on which brand you think would be best. I looked at the old posts 2007 and did not really get much info. Thanks.

Roy
Old 1st July 2014, 08:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use Sovtek KT-88, but I have not yet compared the sound of them them to other brands though.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

after posting this today, i did some research and it looks like my old tubes are Shugang kt88's. Can't complain about the sound...
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Account disabled at member's request

Electro Harmonix KT88 are pretty good and the price is quite reasonable. They have proven to be very reliable.
I use them in my SSE and from what I gather many of the forum members also use them. I'm sure the Sovtek and
the reissue Tung Sol and Gold Lion would also be fine though the latter costs much more..
Old 2nd July 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
Electro Harmonix KT88 are pretty good and the price is quite reasonable. They have proven to be very reliable.
I use them in my SSE and from what I gather many of the forum members also use them. I'm sure the Sovtek and
the reissue Tung Sol and Gold Lion would also be fine though the latter costs much more..
+10 on the EH-KT88 - they are inexpensive and I've been running a pair for 5+ years now. I'll sell you a set of those KT88-98 if you need em cheap - probably measure as new but I can test them again to be sure. I only used them a few months with another amp.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A friend has and likes Svetlanas; I've heard the EH and finally spent for the Gold Lions. Worth it. Big difference in the Simple SE.
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Are you using NOS Gold Lions or new production ?
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I went from new production Gold Lions to KT150 the change was well worth the price. I didn't notice much difference going to GLs from EH-KT88 but did with the KT150s. I was actually just testing the KT150s to be sure they worked properly (bought them for another build) and well it's been 8 months since I tested them and they are still in use and got another set for my other project.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 8th July 2014, 08:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another EH KT88 here. I've tried 5 sets of tubes in my SSE inc some nos svetlana kt88's and the Electro's beat them all hands down. Great tube.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Which KT88-98 tubes?

Thanks for all the advice. This is a work in progress. I ordered the Preferred series kt88 (penta) and they sound great. With all the votes for electroharmonics, i ordered a set this morning. I will compare them to the Penta.

Roy

Hide this!Advertise here!