Congratulations George! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 28th June 2014, 08:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Congratulations George!

Those Magnificent Television Tubes

I thought best not to put this into the Tube- those magnificent television tube thread forum because it might get moved by the mods and put it here in the Tubelab forum instead.

Well George, 41 years at the same company is an accomplishment in itself already, but knowing that you have various designs spanning vacuum tubes to ICs, prototypes, working models from mostly overlooked components (TV tubes), proof of concepts built (digital synthesizer from the 70's built from someone else's cast off scrap is both mesmerizing and frugal at the same time), and your current offerings... well, that would just be a life's work to some of us here like me. And you have the option of calling it a hobby.

Congratulations on your impending retirement from Motorola, new house, your soon to be built house, and not slowing down.

Personally, I can not wait to see the tube designs you have on paper, computer, dead bug style, and home etched PCBs, come to fruition. Sign me up when you get settled into your new digs and the first boards out. In the meantime, raise a glass for me.
Old 29th June 2014, 03:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll chip in and say a well done from me as well!

If it wasn't for Tubelab I wouldn't be able to experience tube amps of such high calibre. Your designs have provided a great deal of pleasure to build and peace and quiet for Mrs Mudchute.

If you have other designs PLEEEEEEEEEASE bring them to fruition and drop teasers so we can get excited!

Hint*hint*tubephonostage*hint
Old 29th June 2014, 06:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I built my current phono stage several years ago and I have been happy with it so far. It doesn't fit any of the usual Tubelab criteria since it isn't easy to build, and doesn't glow.

I made a little SMD phono stage that uses a TI audio spec opamp. In fact the design is directly from the chip's data sheet. I did this so that the entire phono stage fits inside the turntable. This eliminates the low level interconnects which can be susceptible to noise pickup.

I thought about redoing the layout with smaller SMD parts so the whole thing fits inside the cartridge shell, but never got around to it.

So far I haven't looked at a tube phono stage.....too many other projects, but maybe in the future.
Old 29th June 2014, 06:56 PM   #4
YashN is offline YashN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Congrats George!

I sort of remember that on your website you mention not having the time for something because of usual work duties. Maybe it's time to delve into those old projects again!
Old 2nd July 2014, 01:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Tubelab introduced me to the world of diy tube audio.
Thank you!
Old 10th July 2014, 03:11 PM   #6
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I built an SSE and after discovering the myriad ways that versatile little board could be configured and hacked around on ( and blown up ) I never got back around to the hybrid transceiver that got me interested in tube construction.

So thanks a lot for that, George!

I'm really disappointed in Ma Batwings, if it's any consolation - I used to be a good customer for their commercial radios. Still use my HT1250 that I bought almost twenty years ago ( did you have a hand in that? ) and lots of Yaesu's when they mostly owned the company.

Now they don't make anything I need or want.

You taking the Mopars to the new place?

Win W5JAG

Hide this!Advertise here!