Dr-Jordan-Design software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 18th June 2014, 06:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dr-Jordan-Design software

Having just visit your web site I saw that the WinAudioMLs is being used by you as your testing equipment, just was curious if the software also shows the power output of the amp being tested above all the other functions.

I have a single 2 stage SE KT88 integrated amp which I guesstimate to put out about 4+ watts per channel, which I would like to test with the above software if possible, your answer would be much appreciated.
Old 22nd June 2014, 02:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Dr Jordan software, Rightmark, or any other FFT analyzer will measure distortion and frequency response directly. It will not measure audio power.

To accurately measure audio power you need to measure the AC voltage across a known dummy load (not a speaker). This is usually done while using some type of distortion measurement software to determine when the amp is distorting. Any amp will make more power if it is driven into heavy distortion, so it makes sense to measure power at a specific distortion level. Most solid state amps are measured at a very low level, but tube amps are often tested at 1%, 3% OR 5% distortion.

The AC voltage across the load can be measured with an audio voltmeter, or a distortion analyzer. I use an old HP 8903A audio analyzer. You can also use an ordinary DVM that has an AC volts scale with some reduction in accuracy.
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tubelab,

Thanks for your answer this is what I suspected as far as the power output was concerned, never having build an amp before of any kind, this is my first hard wired tube amp build, which turned out to be very good with no hum or other issues using chokes and film caps power supply.

Thanks for your suggestion of using a power resistor for testing the amps output, guess a 20 watt will do, still have to figure out on how to do this and using a DVM only, not having any testing equipment.

Would it still be worthwhile to use Dr Jordan basic version for the distortion and frequency response, which seems to be very cost affective, the only thing is I would have to make an attenuator to connect my amp to my win7 sound-card, which I have no idea on how to do that.

Thanks again
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tubelab,

Just noticed that you are moving and wish you a good and successful move and thank you again that you found the time to answer my question

Hide this!Advertise here!