• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Shielded wire ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the final stages of assembly on my 300B single end, after testing. I have C4, C5, C6, and C7, replaced with Mundorf tube caps, mounted topside on the chassis. the wire length on each will be 3" except C7 is 3.5". When testing on the bench I used regular wire of longer lengths and all sounded great. So on the final set up the wires are much shorter. So my question is, should I use standard wire to connect the caps to the Brd? Or! I have some 22Ga, and 20Ga shielded aircraft wire. We used a lot of it at NASA for flight stuff that was going into space. Would it help or hurt to use shielded wire with shields grounded at the Brd side? Is it needed? Thank you all.

Nothing wrong with using shielded cable specially if you already have some. Sounds like you're using 2 wires with a shield around them, yes?? I'd use that for signal wires.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,
This is single conductor shielded wire. Two separate wires per cap. I have some VH Audio solid silver single conductor shielded wire that I will use for signal connections. I'm building this amp as two separate units. I bought two circuit brds, and kind of cut them in half, and am making the whole Power Supply a separate unit. Filament section of power supply uses stock parts. The amp section of the power supply has no electrolytic caps. All replaced with Mondurf tube caps. All resistors 2 watts and up are Caddock MP925's. They are rated at 2.25 watts without a heat sink. 7 to 20 watts with heat sink, and is made with the same film they use in their lower wattage audio resistors. All on my brd have been heat sinked. All other 1/4 watt resistors are Vishay naked z-foil's. I have pictures of the whole process. If anyone is interested, I'll post the project when I'm done. Might be a while, because I'm building a CD transport, heavily modding a tube DAC, and building new back loaded horn speakers also. Speakers are done except for putting a finish on them. Amps are getting close. Still have to mod DAC, and build transport. Well I better get back to work on this. Thank you very much. And thanks to jpjones for responding also. Have fun .

Nice - I see you're using the shielded wire for connections off board to large caps?? Cant hurt using the shielded wires - after all a wire in the amp is nothing short of an antenna. I try and keep those type of connections as short as possible without shielded wires (too much $$ for me - I'm cheap).

What folded horns are you building??

Cheers,
Bob

Nice - I see you're using the shielded wire for connections off board to large caps?? Cant hurt using the shielded wires - after all a wire in the amp is nothing short of an antenna. I try and keep those type of connections as short as possible without shielded wires (too much $$ for me - I'm cheap).

What folded horns are you building??

Cheers,
Bob

I'm building the Madisound BK16's. However I have laminated another 1/2" layer of birch ply to the sides, top's, and bottoms. The front and back are already doubled up. I also filled the two Hollow cavities with lead shot. Talk about expensive! I had to buy two 25# bags, and used most of it, at $2.00 a pound. The only place I could get it was the local trap club. I did find out what a pain in the butt it is to use unbacked raw veneer. I suck at veneering, but I think after a lot of repairs and patching, they came out pretty nice. I'll post when they have a finish on them. Thanks for the interest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.