• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

High B+ at initial checkout phase on SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So started the checkout process today.

Measured 0v on R30; -370v on R7 and 4.98v across the filament.

Put in an 5AR4 and wound up the variac to 120V.

Got up to 470V on R30 and I saw a flash across the base inside the tube. At that point R7 was showing -374V. I immediately powered down.

470V B+ - is that too high when there is only the rectifier tube in?

Using the Edcor XPW131 by the way. Am I supposed to have the brown/white hooked up to T6 (I'll be using 300B tubes)? I have read conflicting reports.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It depends on whether you want to use 2.5volt tubes or 5v tubes. In reality it does not matter because the connections are taken care of on the board itself.

Better to have the CT soldered to the board for convenience sake than to have to heat-shrink it or secure it by some other means.

So just connect it to the board as it will not harm anything or make a difference. HTH:)

So I moved to the next step (rectifier only) and tested the grid on the output tube socket.

I got the following readings:

440V and 437V

I was expecting these to be negative readings (as per the checkout).

Is it possible I am measuring the wrong thing? I hooked up to the socket pin that is top left when you look at the layout with the output sockets in the top right of the PCB. It is numbered 2 on the socket as shown in Georges page on installing the sockets. Should I be hooking up to a resistor instead (R33/R34)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
UPDATE: So it WAS the two resistors I was meant to measure and here are the readings so far:

B+ 465
B- -366
Filaments: 5V
R33: -329V
R34: -335V

So I think these look okay and I can move on to putting in the 5842's once the board has been powered down for a while longer.

The 5842 tubes run off of the DC that feeds the reg. for the output tubes. There is a dropping resistor, 2.2ohm I believe, that reduces the voltage for them.

I ended up needing only 1ohm to have 6.2v for the 5842 heaters...

Anyway trace the connections and then we will see....

Once you have this thing up and running you are gonna like it:)

So I couldn't get stable numbers on C11 and C9 so have decided to swap out the rectifier (which had flashed in an earlier test) and start from square one on the checkout procedure. So far I got to test B+ and B- which were showing good numbers.

More tests tonight hopefully.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.