Fuses in SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 7th May 2014, 03:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fuses in SE

Where have you installed fuses in your SE?

I'll have a slo-blo in the IEC but was wondering if there is value in in-line fusing other components and if so which and where?

First power-up planned for Sunday 17th May so just making sure I have everything in place for the checkout.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Where have you installed fuses in your SE?

I'll have a slo-blo in the IEC but was wondering if there is value in in-line fusing other components and if so which and where?

First power-up planned for Sunday 17th May so just making sure I have everything in place for the checkout.
You can fuse the center tap of the secondary HT right behind the CL-90, that will protect your power transformer. There's other ways to do it but that's how I do it.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 8th May 2014, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bob, you use the same type and amperage as the IEC - slo-blo 1.5/2amp?

Thanks.
Old 8th May 2014, 02:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Bob, you use the same type and amperage as the IEC - slo-blo 1.5/2amp?

Thanks.
I use 3-5 amp slo-blow, you could try the 1.5A fuse but the CT on the power transformer is seeing the full output of the secondary 100% of the time. You could add up the current being used and size the fuse appropriately but I just use a 3-5 amp fuse whatever is in my drawer. It's just gonna save the PT in the unlikely event of a catastrophic failure. The IEC fuse is going to save your home in the unlikely event of a catastrophic failure. Catastrophic failure = amp turns into toaster oven!! VERY unlikely but I've had it happen to me. The diodes added to the board on the last update TCOs that tho. I put the fuse there as a mater of course/habit more than anything else.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 9th May 2014, 04:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Excellent!

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion.

Hide this!Advertise here!