• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Grounding question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried checking continuity from the transformers mounting bolt to the case and laminations. No contact. I can solve this by scraping some paint of the bells, but what about the laminations? Also, my SSE board is mounted to an aluminum plate that is set into a wooden top. Likewise with the jacks, IEL and power switch, aluminum plate set into wood. Should these have a ground attached? the only metal contact would be with the power switch. Jacks are isolated.

JP

Joined 2011
As a matter of safety any exposed metal on the outside should be connected to safety ground. In case something comes loose on the inside of the chassis and touches those metal plates you want them grounded so the fault current will blow the fuse or breaker, and not go through you.

Transformer laminations have an insulating coating on them. Make sure there's electrical contact from where the bells mount to the chassis, and make sure the secondary on your OPTs are grounded - the board may provide the OPT secondary ground - you'll need to check. I know it doesn't on the TSE, but I believe it might on the other boards.

These Edcor transformers have plastic bushings on the "sandwich" bolts to isolate the laminations from the bells and the bolts from both. I'll scratch some of the powder coating off the bells, so the mounting bolts will make contact. I'll have to do all 6 bells because the transformers are mounted on wood. Still won't ground the laminations though.
Funny though, you'd think Edcor would have addressed this issue. Powder coating makes for a tough contact, unless you scrape it off.

Last edited:
if the bells are insulated the only way they can short is if your windings expand or blow up.
In that case grounding won't matter.
I have never seen bells grounded, every transformer I have seen (hundreds possibly 1,000's) have just 1 ground connected to a bolt that holds the transformer to the frame. 90% of the time the other end of the wire is on the socket ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.