• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple P-P Motorboating Really Bad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
HELP, I have a Tubelab Simple P-P that is motorboating really badly.
A screaching put-put after warm up.
I am using a Triad choke and Motor Run capacitor in the P/S section.
All tubes are new.
I have tried messing with the feedback wires and rearranging to Triode and UL mode all with the same result.

Attachments

• SPP Bottom.JPG
    SPP Bottom.JPG
    907.8 KB · Views: 192
  • SPP Top.JPG
    SPP Top.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 184
  • PT & Choke.JPG
    PT & Choke.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_2145[1].JPG
    100_2145[1].JPG
    671.5 KB · Views: 181
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok, so you want me to try and swap the plate and screen wires(Blue Pair & Brown Pair)?
O do you want me to change the positions of the blue and brown pairs on the circuit board (put the blues where the browns are)?

Thank You

Attachments

• OPT Wiring.jpg
    OPT Wiring.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 163
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That will make it much easier to diagnose. The problem also does not appear necessarily to be transformer phase related.

Can you post some more pix of your build? Perhaps there will be something obvious. I don't see safety ground and it doesn't appear that the top plate is grounded to the audio circuitry. I don't see feedback or grounds on the outputs, and see a skinny brown wire that runs all over the place - what is that?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Updated Photos

Here are some updated photos, the feedback is hooked up, the top plate is grounded.
The brown wire was an extra ground going from the RCA grounds to the safety ground point, that wire is no longer there.

Attachments

• bottom wiring.jpg
    bottom wiring.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 99
  • close up wiring.jpg
    close up wiring.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 86
  • top plate.jpg
    top plate.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 82
  • safety earth.jpg
    safety earth.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 77
Restore output transformer wiring to what is shown in your first photo

Left to right (with rear of board toward you)
White/Brown
Brown
White/Blue
Blue
Red
Feedback from Speaker – (connected to white wire on OPT secondary)
Feedback from Speaker + (connected to yellow wire on OPT secondary)
Green (6.3VAC)
Green (6.3VAC)
White/Brown
Brown
White/Blue
Blue
Red
Feedback from Speaker + (connected to yellow wire on OPT secondary)
Feedback from Speaker – (connected to white wire on OPT secondary)

Then remove C101 and C201 (the caps in parallel with the feedback resistors). My SPP with 25W Edcors would oscillate with almost any value cap in this position.

Report back to us.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank You again for all of your help, after last nights troubleshooting I had my amp down to a strong humm.
Today after work I ran a clip lead ground from one SPK- to earth and it is dead quiet and OH SO SWEET.

This has truly been a frustrating but very rewarding project and I'm glad it's over.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.