• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cathode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm back, new question....

I am currently using a 6p7 Russian equivalent to a 6l6 which works great in this amp, as I pistes earlier sound is amazing! Like so many others I would like to try tube rolling, and install a true 6l6, and some EL 34 tubes. As of now when I install them sound is crackly, with some minor popping , to change the bias for thus amp requires changeling the cathode, this is where my brain turns to mush:)
I'm not sure I understand George's chart fully, if I Gould ask for a little help with this, I would for ever great full !

Cheers
Dale

6P3S? Do they look like the pic? They are basically a 6L6G, so don't know why you're having problems with other similar tubes. They should work fine.

jeff

Attachments

• 6p3s.jpg
    6p3s.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 101
no they are coke bottle shaped.
here is pic large rectifier and 6p3p in back.
I also have a set that looks exactly like your pic, I tried those today too, I did not measure the B+ but same result cracking sound, in all fairness I did not really give them time to warm up.
when I insert my messa 6l6 the B+ jumps from about 434(6p3p) to 500+ ( this tube I measured) was convenient.

I've not measured the EL 34 B+ value .

Not sure why the increase in hv, but is a considerable jump.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Ok, the 6p3p is a Chinese tube, not Russian, but very similar to 6L6G. Not sure what's going on with the voltage jumping up by changing tubes. Sounds like somethings shorting to B+? Also the tubes shouldn't be making any weird noises either.:confused:

I wonder if this is somehow related to the cathode feedback feature?

jeff

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.