• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE - Cathode resistors for 6V6, 6F6, and other small tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Having built and used my SSE with the large Edcor power and output transformers for KT88, 6L6, EL34 tubes I am
now ready to build a smaller version for tubes such as 6V6, 6F6, 6K6 and other low power tubes.

For this smaller version I am planning to get the Edcor XPWR009 -
550V (275-0-275) at 175mA center tapped, 6.3V at 4A and 5V at 3A.

Edcor GXSE15-8-5K opt's along with Edcor choke and aux cap.

With XPWR009 and a 5AR4 rectifier I estimate I'll have a B+ somewhere around 320 - 335 volts.

With the above in mind can someone suggest a range of 6 cathode resistor values that I can tune in with a rotary selector switch ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
680 ohms is spot on for 6V6 and 6F6.

6K6 is a lower power tube, and would need to be 750 - 820 ohms, possibly a little larger.

Win W5JAG

Thanks for that info W5JAG.

Do you have any experience with 6EZ5, 6FW5 and 6W6 tubes ? Any suggestions for these ?

I also have some 6Y6 tubes and I know the max. voltage rating for these is 200V.
If I use a 5W4 or 5Y3 rectifier to get the B+ down to the 250V range and use a suitable
cathode resistor do you think this would be okay for the 6Y6 ?

6EZ5 - no. 6FW5 - no. 6W6 - yes.

The real limitation with 6W6, 6Y6, and 6U6 is the screen grid. I've used all of these triode strapped at around 220 volts and they worked fine. Start with a cathode resistance of 560 - 620 ohms.

If you search my username here and in the main forum, you'll find relevant posts. Tubelab also has many relevant posts on the subject.

Win W5JAG

Sent from my Windows 8 phone using Board Express

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.