• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

In rush protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,
Great threads, great work on all amps I've seen, I am just putting mine together(sse).
My questions is: Of all the Great pictures ( very Nice Builds) I did not notice
anyone utilizing the in rush current limiter that George recommends.
Has anyone ( yet to read about it) had any issues with their amps, sound, humming , as a result of leaving this limiter out?

Thanks again,

Best regards

You should use the inrush limiter or cl90/cl140. George added these parts at some point to keep rectifier tubes from arcing over on power on. Power supply having to charge capacitors that are empty there will be a very large inrush of current for the first AC cycle, enough to arc (or short) the new stock rectifiers. Trust me when I tell you to add these parts, other wise you risk burning down your amp and more nasty things. What "could" happen is on arc over you just shorted your power supply which in turn will heat up your wires going from the rectifier tube back to your power transformer, insulation melts wires short circuit and a fire is not far off. If you think your fuse will protect this from happening you are wrong. Typically the fuse is on the input side of the power transformer and keeps the fire/heat from going from the amp to your house circuit.
Once a rectifier tube arcs over it will tend to arc over more easily and pretty much should be thrown out. So its a safety thing, do it.

Cheers,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.