Tube issue or SSE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 26th February 2014, 01:05 AM   #1
mpri is offline mpri  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube issue or SSE?

Hi all,

I built a SSE and have been using a Sylvania fat bottle 5AR4 rectifier tube in it. I picked it up used at an antique radio flea market in a PA with two RCA 6L6GC’s. I used it for about 7-8 months. I then picked up new on eBay one of the Philips 5V4GA’s which is supposedly a military mislabeled Sylvania fat bottle 5AR4 and started using that. Now about 8 months later I noticed that the getter on the mislabeled Phillips seems to be flaking off. See picture. I took out the old Sylvania and noticed that the getter is also flaking on it too.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Could this be a problem with Sylvania’s in general or something with my SSE? When running the tube doesn’t appear to run hot. I used the standard Allied 6K7VG transformer, C1 and C2 are both external motor run caps, I also use the Allied choke. All the voltages seemed to check out fine the last time I checked them. The amp is running fine and sounds great.

So is the flaking of the getters a problem? If so could it just be the tubes or is the SSE amp tearing them up? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mpri; 28th February 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 26th February 2014, 02:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would guess at it being the tube if the voltages check out and it isn't running hot.

If it sound good then I wouldn't be too worried though I might have a backup of a different brand close to hand.

Hide this!Advertise here!