• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tube issue or SSE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I built a SSE and have been using a Sylvania fat bottle 5AR4 rectifier tube in it. I picked it up used at an antique radio flea market in a PA with two RCA 6L6GC’s. I used it for about 7-8 months. I then picked up new on eBay one of the Philips 5V4GA’s which is supposedly a military mislabeled Sylvania fat bottle 5AR4 and started using that. Now about 8 months later I noticed that the getter on the mislabeled Phillips seems to be flaking off. See picture. I took out the old Sylvania and noticed that the getter is also flaking on it too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Could this be a problem with Sylvania’s in general or something with my SSE? When running the tube doesn’t appear to run hot. I used the standard Allied 6K7VG transformer, C1 and C2 are both external motor run caps, I also use the Allied choke. All the voltages seemed to check out fine the last time I checked them. The amp is running fine and sounds great.

So is the flaking of the getters a problem? If so could it just be the tubes or is the SSE amp tearing them up? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.