• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Confirming umbilical connector choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These look suitable for an umbilical for the Edcor 131 power supply but I wanted to check with the knowledgeable. It will only be the PS on the umbilical, everything else is staying PCB side.

[link

[Link

Just need to find some 9 conductor 600V rated wire; a rummage around in the basement to begin with then off to Google :)

Last edited:

JP

Joined 2011
I wouldn't advise running solid core in an umbilical - it's not made for continual flexing and may be prone to breaking, depending how much you move the umbilical.

Also, IMO, and if you believe in exotic materials more power to you, but there's no advantage to this wire over standard $0.18/ft 600V stranded.

Another question :)

Given the individual wires are only using a Teflon coating should I twist them around each other and then apply a shielded braid over them all?

Does the twisting matter in this application?

Does the shielded braid matter or would unshielded be fine?

So many questions; so little money left :)

FWIW, the Bulgin Buccaneer connectors linked in your first post are only rated for 150VAC/VDC.......not really enough for a 360V transformer.

The Amphenol connectors are very burly (metal!); another good choice are Amp CPC series (circular plastic connectors), many of these have a 600V dielectric rating.

OK, here we go:

If I get teflon coated 18 gauge copper for ALL the connections form the PS (600V certified), should I twist pairs and then surround the whole bunch (including the ground wire) with a SHIELDED or NON SHIELDED braid (or some other combination)?

I have 14 pins to play with on the connectors so I figure I can run the ground down the center and then twist the various AC wires from my Edcor 131 to create a small number of twisted pairs plus a ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.