• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

I like copper, I can't help myself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a perfectly valid choice, just make sure it is thick enough to handle the weight. It's a bit hard to work because it is so soft.. Clear coat it once you have done all of the prep work and it is nicely polished, and meticulously cleaned to remove finger acids. Do several coats to assure that pin holes are not a problem in the future. Make sure not to handle the chassis plate at all after cleaning - otherwise the finger prints will magically appear under the finish a few years later. Bake and then allow to harden for a week or so before you assemble the amp.

I had a line of commercial gear with all copper chassis, and some of the chassis have held up well and others have not. Finger prints are a real problem.. :(

Done right it will be beautiful..

Hmm, I wrote and, I thought, posted a response but it seems not to be here.

Anyway, I was concerned about the weight of the thicker stuff (it's already 4.3 pounds) and I figure I can brace it if necessary. Anyway, it's ordered so I guess we will find out, eh :)

A big thank you to Evan for offering some assistance on this part of my project.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I seem to recall a couple of amps in the Tubes Picture Gallery built with what appeared to be diamond plate in copper. I don't care for the diamond plate myself, but copper - if finished correctly - can look stunning. As Kevin mentioned already, finger prints and oxidation is a real issue. I would have the plate professionally polished, sealed, and clear coated if I were you (no offense to Evan).

~Tom

Copper is so Awesome!!!!

I was planning to do the front panel of my custom stereo with a 1/4" bar of copper.
And I have made some ESL stators made with Copper Plated TIG Rod and they will be coated with some clear acrylic!!

I have posted pictures of them here before.

Keep on DIYin' !!!!

jer :)

Tinitus; won't it get green if it isn't coated?

Boywonder, I have the option to do that if the copper looks like ti won't be up to the job. I have moved the PS off of the main build so that takes some of the weight away.

It will be mounted in the Hammond all walnut surround case so mounting the choke and OT's near the edges/corners will also share the weight.

Jer, you got it ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.