• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bias adjustment -Meters and scredrivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I wish to simply bias adjustment as much as possible whilst maintaining a safe approach.

I would like to install VU meters that measure the requisite voltages to help me establish if a tube has drifted from an acceptable position.

I also plan on having access holes in the chassis to allow me to turn the trimmers to make the necessary changes. I figure these screwdrivers Klein 2-Piece Insulated Screwdriver Set would be a safe option for digging into a live chassis or would I be better saving money and going for a ceramic screwdriver? Eclipse Ceramic Screwdrivers - Philips Blade Tip - at the Test Equipment Depot

Thanks.

Thanks Russ, I'll take a look next time I am in.

I'm still in two minds about the panel meters; I would like to be able to adjust the trimmers and see the effects on the meters but it's not part of the build so I would be flying blind a little. Google isn't turning up much but I am still working my way through Morgans 3rd edition so maybe I'll grasp what is needed by the time I finish it :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
In my Damn Good 300B amp, I drilled holes in the top plate for trimpot access. The holes are 1/8" (3.2 mm) in diameter as I recall. Maybe 4 mm. They're centered over the trimpots. To prevent accidents from a slipping screwdriver, I fitted a "cone of shame" made from heat shrink tubing over the trimmers. I trimmed the height of the cone of shame so it just touched the inside of the top plate when the circuit board was mounted. It seems to work pretty well...

I'd still use a screwdriver with a plastic handle, though. Also, the slot in the trimpots I use is made from plastic.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.