• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE power transformer & choke choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I like the look of the James kit, I'll probably get swayed by it.

Whilst on the subject of James transformers is the js-6123hs opt a wise choice for a 300b se?

I have an sse with big cxse edcors and I like the big sound and huge bass so i'd like the same but... Better!

I have Edcor output transformers in my EL34/6GK5 Music Machine (Poindexter design) and I like that amp very much as well. It's triode wired PP about 14W.

I have a pair of Hashimoto transformers to use in the MM when the mood strikes to do a rebuild, but I'm pretty content right now.

So, the short answer is no, I have not compared SE output transformers in the TSE.

Can anyone clarify please if this output transformer will work in a 300b SE.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]6133HSF[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] - 10[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]0mA - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]3.5k - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]30W - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]18Hz~50KHz-2dB - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]300B/EL34 - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]5.2kg[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Can anyone clarify please if this output transformer will work in a 300b SE.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]6133HSF[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] - 10[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]0mA - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]3.5k - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]30W - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]18Hz~50KHz-2dB - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]300B/EL34 - [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]5.2kg[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sure, it will work fine, and would be a great choice. Comparing it to the 6123 transformer, it has 10ma more current capacity, it's physically larger and heavier so probably more inductance (note the difference in FR), and it has a UL tap (denoted by the "S" in the P/N-useless when using a triode like a 300B) for running UL mode with pentodes like EL34.

The 6133 has 3.5K primary impedance, so not as flexible as the 6123 with 2.5/3.5/5K primary impedance.

Ah thats good news then. I've unknowingly listended to the 6123 ina 300b amp before and it left an impression. My only complaint was a lack of LF response which I hope the 6133 would rectify. I'm hopin gthe 6133 is the answer I'm looking for.

I was entertaing the 5k primary option so it'll be good to hear you views on the 3.5k/5k switch if at all possible boywonder.

I really don't have an opinion on the 3.5K/5K choice.

My 300B version TSE is running 6123 transformers on the 5K tap. I haven't tried the 3.5K taps. Running a higher primary impedance typically yields slightly less power and distortion than lower primary impedances.

If you want to wring every last drop of power out, use the lower impedance taps, for a little less distortion (and power) run the higher impedance taps.

I no expert here, but I think either the 6123 or 6133 would both be excellent choices.

Additionally, they come in champagne or black finish :)

There are folks here that would argue that multiple primary/secondary taps are a compromise when it comes to transformer design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.