• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I plan to get one of the Goldpoint Min-V attenuators and am uncertain how to determine the correct value for the input impedance of the TSE?

From what I have read 25k, 50k or 100k would work but I don't want to have to guess. Is there a calculation I can use to work it out?

Thanks

JP

Joined 2011
I can't find it, but I swear I read a post at some point where George said a 100K pot would react with the miller capacitance of the 417A/5842 and roll-off high frequencies. I used to run 100K pot in front of my TSE, but changed to 10K after reading that post. The difference, at least for me in my setup, was substantial.

I'm not saying go with 10K as I don't know if your sources are capable of driving that. I went with 10K as my tube RIAA has no issue driving that and my other sources are solid state, and I plan on adding a Heretical at some point (published design is around a 10K pot).

I found the post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/176406-simple-se-volume-pot-value.html#post2350573

George says 50K is the upper limit on the TSE in that post. I can't find output impedance specs on your sources, but I'd be beyond surprised if they're not well below 1K, so a 10K pot should be fine (assuming reasonable cable quality and length). I'm not an expert in this area, so hopefully someone with more experience here will chime in.

Alternatively, if you've an existing attenuator that's higher, you can always parallel resistance with it. That's what I did as I've a 100K TKD 2P65CS, and at $700 USD today, there's no way I'd buy another one, so I paralleled 15K with it to bring it down to ~10K. I've read this will affect the accuracy, but I haven't noticed any meaningful difference in my setup.

Though the above relates to the SSE my feeling is it would be applicable to the SE too.

The input impedance of the TSE is set by the resistor across the input. I used 131K in my boards since I have a few thousand of them. It is not the important factor.

The TSE uses a 5842 tube which has a slightly higher Miller capacitance than the 12AT7 in the SSE. I have noticed a measurable drop in high frequency response with a 100K pot set at mid range which is worse case with a typical low impedance source like a CD player. This may not be audible, but would be with a larger value like 250K or 1 Meg.

To avoid this use a 50K or lower pot. Anything below this will be fine, until you start to load down your source. Most anything solid state will work into 10 K or lower....things like Ipod's, phones and laptops have no problem with 100 ohms since they can drive headphones. A tube line or phono stage may like 25 or 50K.

Given that I can't find a spec on minimum acceptable load for your phono stage, I would say to choose the safest choice which would be 25K. You might choose 50K if you might build a tube preamp, or phono stage later on.

The TSE uses a 5842 tube which has a slightly higher Miller capacitance than the 12AT7 in the SSE. I have noticed a measurable drop in high frequency response with a 100K pot set at mid range which is worse case with a typical low impedance source like a CD player. This may not be audible, but would be with a larger value like 250K or 1 Meg.

My setup was SY's HMN -> 100K TKD -> TSE. I paralleled 15K with the each channel at the attenuator to drop it to ~10K, as noted above. At 3/4 volume, shorting the resistors in and out, I could easily hear the highs were attenuated with 100K vs. 10K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.