TSE 300B Magnetics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 25th January 2014, 04:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TSE 300B Magnetics

I am looking for some recommendations and input from people on OPT's and power transformers.

I had a build started about 2 years ago that got put on hold. My wife decided to start a family instead of letting me finish my amp . So Back then I had bought a Hammond 276X power transformer and now I am finding out its not recommended because of a high secondary. I am to the point where the board is done and I just need to install the Iron. Should I use what I have and see what happens or just scrap my new never used transformer for a new Edcor. If I go the Edcor route then I think I will replace OPT from the Hammond's to Edcor as well. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated
Old 25th January 2014, 02:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdot1211 View Post
just scrap my new never used transformer for a new Edcor.
That's what I would do if I were you. I used Hammond transformers before and their build quality is so so. At least not as good as it used to be from what I've heard. On the other hand, Edcor gets high marks on this forum.
Quote:
If I go the Edcor route then I think I will replace OPT from the Hammond's to Edcor as well.
I would say yes.
Old 25th January 2014, 02:40 PM   #3
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
If I all ready had the transformers I would build with them. If the voltage is too high and you are using a choke instead of r4 adjust c4 or add an extra rc to the power supply at this spot.
Evan
Old 26th January 2014, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Evanc: I am using the triad choke for R4. When you say adjust C4 or add an extra RC what do you mean exactly.

Eharm: If I switch to Edcor's what are people using for OPT to get the cover over the coil. I know the covers are cosmetic to an extent but if I go that route I want to make it right. Also I looked up the main PT and 2 come up what is the difference
XPWR124 vs. XPWR260

As a side note Anyone want a 2 Hammond 125CSE and a 276X? they are unused I opened the boxes and that's it!
Old 26th January 2014, 03:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

An extra rc after the choke would be nice...more filtering. adjusting c4 is also possible, but you need to lower the value of the capacitor to decrease voltage so you will loose some filtering. Do you use duncans's psud?
PSUD2
Evan
Old 26th January 2014, 07:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That looks like a pretty cool program. I will have to play around with it.
Old 27th January 2014, 03:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So I have decides to change the magnetics to Edcor's. This is what I have so far
XPWR131 for main power and GXSE 15-8-5k for OPT. I feel pretty good about the OPT but I am a little sketchy on the PT I used the specs from my Hammond to match and the 131 is what I came up with. If I am wrong please speak up!
Old 27th January 2014, 04:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do a title search on "Edcor" in Tubelab section of the forum. You will see a bunch of discussions on it. Here's an example.
Old 28th January 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks for info
Old 28th January 2014, 05:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

electra print is a good choice for output transformers. Jack is a good person to deal with.
Electra-Print.com Audio Transformers
Evan

Hide this!Advertise here!