• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Toroidal transformer for 300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use toroidal for my TSE PT. That example looks to be little low on section 1 and 2 (300V). I'm not sure if that's ok. Perhaps the experts can chime in on this. Here is PT recommendation on Tubelab website. "The power transformer needs to provide about 640 or 650 volts center tapped at 150 mA or more, 5 volts at 2 amps, and 6.3 volts at 4 amps. A center tap on the 6.3 volt winding is NOT required. The Hammond 276X will work. I have been using some surplus power transformers that are 660 VCT. They give me about 390 volts of B+."

Here's mine --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/148378-tubelab-se-alternate-power-transformer.html

Oops, got my threads mixed up. I would expect to see something like 360V B+ with that transformer. That is on the low end of what most 300B designs use, but it will work. You can run the bias a little hotter at lower plate voltages to get a little better dampening factor. That said, the curves for the 300B seem to suggest that they will be more linear at higher plate voltages. I run a B+ of about 410V when using 300Bs in my TSE.

I still have my original Lexan TSE. I only get 320 volts with 300B's since the transformer is 275-0-275 volts, Hammond sourced, so it's really 300-0-300. I get about 5.5 WPC but it does sound nice. If that transformer really puts out 300 volts, expect about 5.5 to 6 watts. If it makes a bit more, you will get more power.

Another transformer for 300B TSE

This one looks to meet all George's recommendations for a TSE with 300B tubes - PT being capable of providing about 640 or 650 volts center tapped at 150 mA or more, 5 volts at 2 amps, and 6.3 volts at 4 amps

http://www.classictone.net/40-18096.pdf

I see a bias tap for this PT - what is the guidance on this - should tape it up (unused)?

Exploring options beyond Hammond (high price for 300 series), Edcor (long wait times, no 220v or 230v option).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.