• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE Noise Problem - Help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have an SSE, about 6 years old. I use the SSE for the treble end of a bi-amped system. One channel is noisy (loudly hissing, sometimes pinging) the other almost silent.

Swapped output tubes - no help
Replaced output tubes - no help (except no pinging as yet)
Replaced input tube - no help
Recapped entire board - no help
Re-made all terminal connections - no help

No matter what I've done the same channel has a problem, the other channel doesn't.

Anybody have any other ideas? Could the 10M45S be the problem?

Thanks,
Charlie

Try checking tubes socket (are clean,good and tight, and use a dental tool if not) , plus check resistors. You could swap IC's that you mentioned.

Though not related it doesn't hurt to add the SS diode mod for helping the rectifier tube live either.

Last edited:
Resistors are a common noise source. Often a bad one is temperature sensitive. They used to sell circuit freeze spray at Radio Shack or electronics component distributors that catered to the repair industry. I don't know where to get it now, but I know it still exists, we have it at work.

You spray a warm component and it drops the temp about 50 degrees instantly. Obviously don't spray a hot tube or your fingers.

You spray each part one at a time. If the noise changes intensity or pitch you have found a bad part. Resistors usually quiet down when cooled, semiconductors can do anything, but should not do anything other than a small change in operating point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.