• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE Point to Point grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have had my Simple SE up an running now for a few months and decided to do a few upgrades. By the time I collected the new resistors and caps I figured I could build a whole new one if I threw in a couple of CCS's and some new sockets. I thought I would build it point to point, really, just for the fun/learning experience of it. DO I expect the sonics to improve? I can hope, can't I? DO I think they may get worse from poor circuit lay out? Perhaps, but I want to try it and see.

Just a question before I dig into this (most parts will arrive early next week):

Are there any particular concerns I should address for grounding in my point to point build? I sorta figured I would just emulate what the PCB does.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Super! Thanks. Those are both great. Lots of pertinent info there.

This brings up a question:
Would it be good to add another layer of filtering (RC) for the driver section? (This is discussed in the Valvewizard.co.uk link.) Or would that be unnecessary?

Also, I am going to use two 50uf ASC Motor run caps in Parallel for the second stage in the B+ filter. Could I use a short busbar connecting the two ground terminals as the star point if I do star grounding? I have done this before in Solid State amps.

Thanks again!

I've not built a SSE, but it is similar enough to the attached schematic. You can see the additional filtering for the driver tube. This is a variation of the Abdellah amp. Some have used LC as shown, others RC. Try it with and without and see.

I would think you'll be ok with ground point as you describe.

I have also attached the layout that I used for the amp that matches the schematic. Maybe it will help.

Attachments

• setschematic.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 95
  • se-interiorwiring.jpg
    se-interiorwiring.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 198
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.