SSE choke consideration - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 31st October 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
oxothuk is offline oxothuk  United Arab Emirates
diyAudio Member

Default SSE choke consideration

Have simple question
can i use hammond 193B choke (12H 100ma only) for SSE testing IF WILL PLUG ONLY ONE 6L6? By other word will test channels independently and wait until can get proper choke or 150 ohm resistor.

Another thing - how to select choke? current is important but what about resistance, as i can see a lot of people using different chokes with only 65ohm resistance (like Hammond 193H). How to know exact current rating required? will it work with 150ma choke?
Old 4th November 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

200ma is the recommended rating if I remember correctly. I'm using a 29ohm DCR choke, but I did add a 100ohm resistor in series with it. Lower DCR would give you slightly higher voltages (according to PSUDII), but it wasn't anything extreme. I don't know if low DCR would also result in any additional noise in the power supply though (either mechanical buzzing or hum). I had the resistor on hand, so I just stuck it in there to be nearer the 150ohm R1 that would be provided if the choke were omitted.

I believe George's (Mr Tubelab) original amp has a choke rated for 150ma.

With regards to your original question, I suppose one less power tube would result in less current draw, but certainly don't take that as a recommendation that you do this. Why not just leave the choke out and solder in R1 to test?
Old 4th November 2013, 03:39 AM   #3
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

There are a few guys touting low DCR power supplies on the forms (mostly audioasylum & audiokarma) as a big advantage sonically in that you gain better dynamics. They say a low DCR PS trans, choke if used (23 ohms or less) , and no resistors before the B+ to the output transformers. If you don't use a choke use an under 23 ohm resistor instead & making sure it's a high enough wattage such as a wire wound of 10W +.

They say even a variac left in all the time hurts the sonics because of the increased resistance.

Edcor sells very affordable low DCR chokes like that of around 300-400 mA so that's great, but they are only 1-2H. Maybe that won't matter so much!

I think it's worth a try to do it as if you note the sonically liked commercial amps that I know like Eico HF-12/81 ,50, 60 , 87/89 etc Harman Kardon Citation II, V etc. , many Heathkits, Sansui 1000a etc. were built that way.

You may have a bit higher B+ , but that can be compensated for by increasing the bias. When you order the PS trans it of course can be spec'd for a bit lower voltage also sometimes if available.

Hide this!Advertise here!