• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Edcor outputs for a 45 based SE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somewhere I read you may loose some of the high frequency's using the big Edcors , and that person found the middle series (GX) 15W better for small tubes. The James should be better, by the specs and internet reviews, but it is double the price of the probably comparable 15W Edcors mentioned above.

Thanks for the reply. I probably read the same thing.... I think George was saying the big Hammonds rolled off with the 300B, but used the big Edcors with his 300b. Not sure about the 45, though. Buying the mid size G series would save some bucks, too.

Somewhere I read you may loose some of the high frequency's using the big Edcors , and that person found the middle series (GX) 15W better for small tubes. The James should be better, by the specs and internet reviews, but it is double the price of the probably comparable 15W Edcors mentioned above.

Actually this what George Anderson wrote about the big EDCOR OPT's -

"The Edcor is smaller than the Hammond at 9 pounds. It gives up very little in the big bass department, but offers serious improvements in the efficiency and high frequency department. I liked the big Edcor so much that I stole it from my SSE for use in a 300B powered Tubelab SE. These are very good transformers and may be cheaper than some of the smaller units. Keep in mind that both of these are BIG and HEAVY, verify chassis fitment and strength! "

I have the big Edcor OPT's in my SSE and I think these things are worth the
money, you definitely wouldn't need to upgrade unless you have tons of
money to burn.
Having said that, from what I've read, I think the GX series at much less
than half the cost will give maybe 98% of the performance of their bigger
brothers. I'm thinking of using these to build a smaller SSE in order to
use tubes like 6V6.

I do like the big Edcors. I have used them in several amps, but it has always been something in the over 5 watts power level. I have never tried them with 45's. Maybe that's because my first TSE uses 45's and Electra Prints.....I don't think I could do better on my budget.

There is a case for avoiding an oversized OPT. I am not sure if the big Edcor is to big for a 45, but it is possible. I have tried 45's and trioded 6V6GT's with the tiny Edcors (XSE15-8-5K) and found these transformers to work well with my speakers which don't do much below 70 Hz. The tubes will clip before the transformer saturates on bass, and the high end goes to 40 KHz. This may be different on a large speaker that stays near 8 ohms further down into the bass region.

I have never tried any of the mid sized Edcors since they didn't exist when I had the time and money to build lots of amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.