• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Speakers for Tubelab SSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am finishing up my SSE and would like opinions on some models of speakers that are available here in Brazil. As you may know, is very difficult to import speakers here due to their weight and high cost of custom fees. Then, the option is to buy those arriving here via official importing.

Due to an issue of available space in the listening room, I can not buy tower speakers.

The models are:

KLIPSCH RB-81 II
KLIPSCH RB 61 II
KEF iQ 30
PARADIGM Studio 20

Many thanks
Antonio

Just traded some old equipment for a pair of klipsch heresy II's and I'm very happy. More than enough volume with my sse and darn find sounding with a little placement experimentation. Highly recommended if you can find a used pair. I was also limited on size, but these disappear into my room decor very well (less than 60cm tall) and like being near the wall and close to the floor.

Seems to be a lot of documented mods for these, too, for when the diy bug bites. I already have the parts for a new crossover on the way.

I also recommend DIY with single fullrange drivers. You can get great results with drivers from Fostex or Omega (there are many others).
You can get inspired from planet10 for example
planet_10 hifi
Fostex Full Range : FF-WK Series | Speaker Components| Fostex
Fostex Full Range : FE Series | Speaker Components| Fostex
Fostex Full Range : FE-E Sigma Series | Speaker Components| Fostex
Omega PRODUCTS

If you do not want to build them, then I suggest you look at the sensitivity.
The RB-81 II is the most efficient - 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
followed by the RB-61 II - 95dB @ 2.83V / 1m
Kef iQ 30 - 89dB @ 2.83V / 1m
Paradigm Studio 20 - 90 dB / 87 dB

The higher the sensitivity, the lower the amount of power needed to drive them.
Try to listen to the speakers before buying them.

Lowtherdream.

Depends on how large your listening room is, and how loud you like to play music of course.

Having said that, my SSE drives an old pair of Zenith Allegro speakers (that only have about 86dB sensitivity) just fine.

I don't try to entertain the neighborhood with my music, and I've got plenty of volume to fill my listening-room. The SSE is a fine sounding, very simple design.

Best luck with your search.

If I had to pick from your list, I would lean towards the Paradigms. I have heard a few similar models, and I like them. The Klipsch tend to be a bit "bright" IMHO. But maybe the SSE will smooth that out.

I have used 86 dB sensitivity B&W 601s as well, and they sound just fine (if you like that sound), even in a large room.

My 89 dB Polk RT400s sound a lot better on the SSE, vs. the 601s.

Of course, these are all "test" speakers until I DIY some of my own. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.