• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TubeLab SSE choke / component choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a SSE that will run with EL34s and...

- Edcor XPWR002 360-0-360@220mA, 60V@800mA, 6.3V@7A, 5V@4A
- Edcor GXSE15-8-5k 5k - 8ohm 15W OPT
- EL34 driver tubes
- 12at7 preamp
- 5u4gb rectifier

I was thinking about getting an Edcor choke, but they appear to be a bit pricey compared to other prefab chokes. Would a choke such as the 125C1A be appropriate for this build? What kind of current handling/inductance should I aim for?

Let me know if there are any glaring problems with my part choice! This is my first tube amp build.

Because of size constraints, I went with the Edcor 2H 200ma choke. George has said in a couple places that any choke (of appropriate power handling) is better than no choke at all. He uses a 1H 150ma Triad choke in his industrial amp. That said, the choke you link to does not have sufficient current handling (90ma). I would shoot for at least 200ma.

Disclaimer: I'm still waiting on my Edcors to finish my build, but I do have some past experience with tube amps and power supplies.

I am considering building the SSE. I've not built anything since the 70's when Heathkit was still around.... I'm trying to reduce costs as much as possible, but, still have a nice sound to replace my trusty sand-amp. This might be the wrong thread, but, has anyone tried to do a point-to-point wiring of the SSE instead of the PCB? Perhaps I'm going for the full nostalgia.

Looks like the Triad might be a good choice. It's pretty ugly, but it should be small enough to fit in my enclosure. The Edcor would be nice, but the inductance is pretty low for the price.

dtrucken, I'm actually planning on point-to-point wiring this amp for the initial build. The design is fairly simple so it shouldn't be too bad (hopefully!).

normaldotcom,
Cool! Have you all the parts already? I've been trying to draw it out, point-to-point, on paper, without the parts, and, well, what did we ever do before computers?

I'm trying to remember, but, I think the "Basing Diagram" on the Tube Spec Sheets are from below. Do you know if that is correct?

I guess I need to order up some parts, any tips on a supplier?

I am a bit worried about mounting the solid state devices in a point to point. I think the heat sink is at b+ so having it flop around and touch anything would be bad. How are you planning to mount these?

If you mount the transistors with thermal isolators and plastic shoulder washers, then the heat sink will be isolated from b+. I'm in the process of building the TSE, and that's what I'm doing, I don't want the heat sink to be hot.

I don't have most of my components yet, just the tubes, sockets, and some caps. I'd recommend Mouser or Digikey for your passive components.

Sometime in the coming weeks I'll figure out how I'm going to mount everything for point-to-point wiring... I just ordered my Edcors tonight so I have a few weeks to get everything else ready!

I don't know if you ordered your choke yet, but the Hammond line is a popular choice on here. I picked up the 159Q from Mouser after comparing it to the Edcor chokes. It's also kind of ugly, which is why I mounted mine below out of sight. Others have used the bigger 193H. It's really a matter of the size of your chassis and the size of your wallet, because there's some flexibility here and any choke beats just R1. Just make sure it can handle at least 150mA of current and then check the B+ you get in PSUD2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.