Anyone using full rangers with the SSE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 3rd September 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone using full rangers with the SSE?

Hey Tubelab forum!

I'm about to embark on building my SSE (just waiting on Edcor) and, though it may be jumping the gun just slightly, I'm evaluating options for the next step in my stereo evolution. Namely: speakers.

Is anyone using Fostex or Mark Audio full range speakers with their Tubelab amps? Something about some of the Pensil/FH3/Golden Ratio builds is extremely appealing to me aesthetically and it seems like they would be a fit for the SSE.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sodacose; 3rd September 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zman for sure - IINM he has both Tubelab SE and PP, and several flavors of Mark Audio drivers in a range of enclosures.

Fanderson as well - Tubelab SE and EL70s I believe.

For myself, I'm running several non Tubelab SE as well as SimplePP (EL84) with a range from Alpair7 to CHBW7/ ERT26 MTM

None of the Alpair based systems would deliver "realistic concert levels" without considerable strain, but the larger Fostex driver ( FE166 / 206) and full sized BLH can certainly get close with higher single digit power levels.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply, Chris! I've seen you're pretty active in the Mark Audio/Planet 10 forum's too.

I'm seriously considering the Alpair 10p as a place to start driver-wise. I'm just a little worried about sensitivity with the Alpair 7.3 (even though the huge library of designs to play with is pretty appealing). Any rumors of a 7p? Something like that might be perfect for me as far as sensitivity and enclosure flexibility (ie WAF).

I'll look into designs with the FE166-206 as well. I do think a BLH would be a tough sell on the wife though.
Old 4th September 2013, 04:24 AM   #4
DanHat is offline DanHat  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using Tang Band W8-1808 drivers in a MLTL cabinet. These are very robust drivers and will rattle the walls driven by my SSE in triode mode. The drawback is they are four feet tall. They only take up about one square foot of floor though.
Old 4th September 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan-

Would that be this design?

TB W8-1808 mltl

If so, god bless your significant other and/or interior decorator I'm afraid those would be too big for my purpose (or at least until I decide to finish the basement).

Thank you for sharing though! Really nice looking driver and good to know that a SSE will push it past casual listening levels. I'm a guitarist and so I know how loud 5 watts of tube can get in a guitar amp, but I don't have a good concept of how it will translate to hifi.
Old 4th September 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
DanHat is offline DanHat  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes that is it.

I have found that I could not use an air core inductor in the BSC as it caused a boomy quality in the bass when I run the SSE in triode strapped mode. It did not seem to happen when the amp was in ultralinear mode.

The 2.5 mh coil I first used had a resistance of 1 ohm which apparently raised the effective qts of the driver too much. I am now using a 4 mh erse iron core and a 9 ohms of resistor in the BSC and it is working well. The erse coil only has .3 ohms resistance.

The zobel has a 2.2 mf cap and an 8 ohm resistor.

MJ King's mathcad spreadsheets are really handy if you are designing a speaker from scratch.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

HI i am running a fostex 206 in a bob brines MLTL. It comes very close to shakin the house but a little more boost would be nice on those wild days. These amps play so clean that you think they are playing quiter than they are. Mark audio 12p has a higher spl and some nice box designs out there
Old 5th September 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nice! I'll have to look at the Bob Brines stuff (I've seen the name a lot but the FR topic is pretty new to me).

I'd love a 12p, but I think the newer 10p is more realistic for me in terms of the required enclosure (and goes lower according to some of the measurements).
Old 6th September 2013, 12:37 AM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Sodacose,

As Chrisb has already mentioned, I am running the Tubelab SSE with Mark Audio drivers, mostly nowadays with A12P in Super Pensils - a good match.

For A12P and smaller cab footprint you can take a look at the M12-A12 design by Bob Brines. Chrisb and P10 have experience with the A10P and I recall a post somewhere with Dave mentioning that A10P efficiency wise is very close to the A12.
Old 6th September 2013, 02:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Several years ago I traded some equipment for two pairs of full range speakers. I got a pair of Audio Nirvana cast frame 10's and a pair of Planet 10's Enabled FE126E's. The AN's were local and the Planet 10's came from Canada, so I started building a set of EZ-10 horns with the AN's. This was during the time that Sherri's mother was terminally ill so progress was slow. It took nearly a year to build the EZ-10's. I used the EZ-10's with several amps including my SSE and TSE's. The combination worked well.

During this time I made a pair of FH3's but never installed the drivers. The EZ-10's were voted out of the living room when Sherri returned from staying with her mom. They are BIG (nearly 5 feet tall) and UGLY, but sound nice.

While Sherri was with her mom, she lost her job as the manager of the complex where we rented warehouse space, causing our rent go way up. This caused us to bring the entire contents of 3 rental storage bays into this house. What a mess. The Planet 10 drivers were lost in the mess.

I will be retiring from my 40+ year engineering career at Motorola in a year or so, and moving out of Florida. I have been tossing, giving away, and selling stuff for over a year now. I am down from over 100,000 tubes to maybe 5000. The EZ-10's are in the Honda and will be going to another forum member to live out their lives tomorrow.

I found the Planet 10 drivers safely stashed in a large ammo box in my bedroom closet this weekend, so the FH3's will be assembled in the next few weeks.

Hide this!Advertise here!