• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

My Simple P-P Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello All,

I have finally gotten around to building the SPP that I have been asking about for a while.
I will be building EL84 Style on this example.
So far I have the boards mostly stuffed.
I went with Dale RN & CFP Resistors, Sprague 716P's, Elna SILMIC II's for the LV electro's and Nippon & Panny's for my HV electro's.
I will be using the Triad C-14X choke instead of the 150Ω resistor.

I would like to go SS rectification on this one and I had a question, should I go with 300-0-300 or 275-0-275 since I won't have the tube rectifier drop?

Attachments

• SPP Bottom.JPG
    SPP Bottom.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 727
  • SPP Top.JPG
    SPP Top.JPG
    714.3 KB · Views: 713
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well.....My tubes have arrived.
I picked up a matched quad of EL84's and a matched pair of 12AT7's.
6L6 traded me some parts for a Hammond 272JX so I decided to stick with tube rectification.
My Triad C-14X 6H 200mA choke will show up tomorrow.
My next order from Mouser I will pick up a 60uF Motor Run cap and the last of misc. parts.
I am moving to a new house tomorrow and my progress on this project will be slow as a result, but since I have all the parts except for the output iron there will be progress finally.

Attachments

• Matched Tubes.JPG
    Matched Tubes.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 612
Joined 2011
Paid Member
tube socket trouble

Well fellas......my GORGEOUS tube sockets arrived.
Unfortunately they don't fit the pin spacing George provided.

What to do?
Order different ones or use leads and surface mount the sockets?

Attachments

• IMG_20130908_182100.jpg
    IMG_20130908_182100.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 558
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I absolutely can return them and I already have sockets like the ones you showed in my shopping cart.
The ones I'm looking at have more of an open hole at the pin entry though.
They are from AES and the ones that George specs in the parts list.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Boards are complete and I will be going with a 6H 150Ω 200mA choke.
I'm still debating on a Motor Run Cap or not, Would THIS one be suitable?
Would there be any benefit to paralleling 3 of these to get 135uF and just leave out the stock 150uF, or would it be better to parallel one of the MR Caps with a 100uF Electrolytic?
The 272JX will be wonderful, IT IS HUGE & I won't even really push it that hard with this amp.
My Edcor CXPP25-MS-8K OPT's have been on order for about 3 weeks now so there is not much longer to wait on them.
I will probably be doing a Hickory or a Mahogany chassis with .100" Aircraft Aluminum top, I have plenty of wood in my pile and I have found a good supplier for aluminum sheet stock.

Attachments

• SPP Top.JPG
    SPP Top.JPG
    933.6 KB · Views: 479
  • PT & Choke.JPG
    PT & Choke.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 155
  • SPP Bottom.JPG
    SPP Bottom.JPG
    907.8 KB · Views: 138
If you search the forum, you should find a builder who made an SSE using all motor run caps. So yes, it can be done. These caps are quite large, though, and the law of diminishing returns quickly apply.

I don't have a motor run cap on my SPP, but I will probably stick one in there at some point. It looks like you have a Nichicon capacitor in that position, which is a decent part to begin with. The one you have chosen will work fine. Keep in mind that you can use a 370VAC capacitor as well. They can handle upwards of 500VDC. Here is one that is only slightly larger but gives you more capacitance:

Surplus Center - 60 MFD 370 VAC MOTOR RUN CAPACITOR

Joined 2011
Paid Member
WOOOT! My OPT's from Edcor shipped today.
19 day turn around!

Temco has a 100uF 440V for $15.50 w/ free shipping on Ebay, I have some 47uF 450V snap ins in my parts bin.
The cap I have there is a Nippon Chemi-Con in that position, all parts have come from Mouser and other reputable sources.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Second Layout

Here is a second thought, I don't know that I will like the PT being up front.
Will the 1.5" spacing and rotation of the PT be sufficient to keep noise away?
Would I be better off the first way.
These layouts are to scale and the top plate size is 10"x14".

Attachments

• SPP Layout 2.jpg
    SPP Layout 2.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 343
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Final Layout Mockup

Here is my final layout for the Tubelab Simple P-P.
I have a beer can representing my MR cap even though the MR cap will be 1 inch taller than the beer can but they are the same diameter.

Attachments

• mockup 2.JPG
    mockup 2.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 290
  • mockup 3.JPG
    mockup 3.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 275
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.