Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 29th July 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
jrobson is offline jrobson  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Tubelab SE and TT noise

Hi

I posted this on a local forum as well:

I picked up a TT from one of the forum members, some time ago I bought and built the oatley K303 phono kit and it's been sitting around for a few months, I was quite happy it worked first time

Anyway initially I didn't connect the earth out the TT to the Phono, I was just interested to see if everything worked, played very nicely.

However, the buzz from me touching the platter and if the needle wasn't dropped very specifically my left 300b(TSE) tube would light up, it was much worse when touching the platter tough, had to switch off the amp to avoid damage as it wouldn't return to normal(which was the case with the needle), it got very hot. Connected up my tube preamp, same thing but only on the 300b, the pre was immune to this, connected the earth and the problem went away...

The buzz wasn't loud at all, I'm just very curious as to why this happens?

Someone responded with:
Something wrong with that amplifier; either it is unstable or its bias is wrong. The low frequency content of the buzz or thump from the stylus is causing it to go into oscillation or - sonds more likely to me - provoke its idle current to surge.
It might be a failed capacitor (or a resistor bypassing the capacitor) is preventing it from correctly establishing its stable DC operating level.

I was just curious what other advice fellow tubelab owners might have? I'll start with the response above but perhaps someone has had this problem before and can pinpoint it...

Hide this!Advertise here!