5U4G Tube with the Simple SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 25th July 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5U4G Tube with the Simple SE

Hello all,

I know this topic has already been discussed here in the forum, but it seems that they all occurred before the modifications made ​​by George in the PCB, ie introduction of three new components (D3, D4 and TR1). TR1 is a Inrush Current Limiter (CL 140)

I have on hand a NOS 5U4G tube made by Svetlana in the former URSS (the tube is marked 1986). The specifications could find here

I would like to use it in the SSE I´m assembling.[/B]

The power transformer I have is Allied 6K7VG, wich has 375-0-375 and the rectifier filament winding is rated 5 VAC and 3 amps. I bought all of the part list components exactly as it is on the website of Tubelab. That is to say I have C1 = 47uF 500V.
I've been reading many treads on this forum about this subject, and realized that the recommendation is to reduce the value of C1.

My doubt is: Even with the new components on the PCB, will I have to do changes to use 5U4G Tube?

I'm asking because I have already soldered all the components on the PCB and it is very difficult to obtain capacitors here in Brazil, I had to buy at Digikey and paid high import taxes and shipping.

Otherwise, I might get here in Brazil this JJ 32+32uF, 500V. I'm just not sure how to use it only 32uF.

Thank you all
Sgrilli AD
Old 25th July 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Sgrilli AD,

I am no expert, but 32uf should be ok for the C1 (AFAIK minimum is 22uf). I am using a 33uf 500v cap.

BTW, I am also planning to get 5U4G rectifier as a means of dropping the B+ on my amp so that I can use the 6V6 without the slight red-plating I am getting at 413v.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
In old TV sets, the 5U4 was loaded with a 100µF without trouble for her, while you can maintain the peak cathode current under the limits that specification suggests. This speaks about all primary resistances and reactances reflected to the secondary, plus the secondary itself Xl's and R's and the cap ESR..
Old 25th July 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll play my SSE with 6l6, KT88 and EL34, using a resistor selector switch. There is a problem with dropping B+?

Hide this!Advertise here!