• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Thinking About Tubelab Simple PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am thinking of building a Tubelab PP to complete the line up (2 SSE and 2 TSE). I have a spare power transformer, Hammond 370hx @ 550VCT. I am looking at the version using EL84s. Is my power tranny adequate? Hom many watts is the output of Tubelab PP? OPT will be Electraprints. Thanks. Godspeed.

The 370HX should work fine. Your B+ will probably come in a bit lower than what George suggests, but that will allow you to run the New Sensor EL84 (Russian 6P14P) variants. I can only use JJ tubes in mine. The reduced load might actually result in reasonable operating temps in that Hammond.

Power output will be on the order of 20W for pentode mode, but you'll probably want to run UL. George recommends around 7.6k primary impedance on the OPTs.

The merits of UL are often debated. For example, the position of the taps is usually something like 40% even though the most optimized position depends on the output tube and even transformer itself. Mine measures fairly well in pure-pentode mode. Many OPTs come with the taps regardless, so it doesn't hurt to make use of them if they are there. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.