TSE Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 27th March 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TSE Build

I have assembled my board, and am waiting on iron from Edcor. I would like to get started on my chassis if possible, but am unsure of sizing considerations. I've built a few SS and now a Budgie amp, but never a tube amp like this one. What size should the top plate be? I ordered:

2 CXSE25-8-5K

XPWR131-120

CXC125-10H-200mA

I also have a motor run capacitor I want to use.

Any advice / thoughts on top plate would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th March 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Actually, you can use virtually anything for a chassis. In the building of my own chassis, I did not take my own advice...Building it bigger than you think. So I'm stuck with a tight chassis...but beggars can't be choosers.
The dimensions I'd guess,,18" X 13" or so. If you go with the common top-plate, wood sides there is the skill needed to create the wood corners, how are you going to attach the wood sides/back to the top-plate???
An easy & straightforward solution is selecting "bakeware" from the local kitchen supply house. Roaming thru the Kitchen Hardware dept. of any Large Dept. store ....you will find nice appropriately sized Aluminium baking pans.....nice & shiny, more than thick enough to support any sized transformers. Rummage thru all they have in stock....flip them over & picture your transformers atop...your tube placements...is it big enough? Note the depth...can you stuff everything inside? They even have fancy handles built-in...........You can do the plate, wood sides & backs......but bakeware is supreme...it's all there & good looking to boot.
************ No assembly required !!!! ****

__________________________________________________ ____Rick.......

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 27th March 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 27th March 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I may go that route, but I have access to someone who knows woodworking and could assist me with building a wooden box for topping with a top plate, just was curious as to size, things to watch out for etc. Also where do you order top plate material from?
Old 27th March 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
My TSE measures 12 1/4 by 16 1/4 inch. I used a wooden top and sides. You can get metal online from
Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com
I have had good luck getting pieces of aluminum sheet from a local metal fabricator. A six pack of beer gets me a top plate every time.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01070.jpg (294.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg amp 002.jpg (617.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 27th March 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
There was/is a standardized width for audio gear.....the so-called "19" rack" but as of recently the 'standard' has been dropped....I have a DVD machine that is about 22"....of course a Playstation went berserk on sizes & shapes. Old VCRs shrunk or got very thin, or both. My Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Carver combo(Tuner,pre,amp) stayed with the 19" being "serious gear" not Sears stuff. Knowing someone who does woodworking is different from this individual actually DOING the work. Remember you will be building a "Furniture grade" item.....you don't want it looking like a wood crate with some stain slapped on it.
Do you want the RCAs, Power, fusing and terminals out back? Holes have to be bored & shaped....you will be using differing hand files for this. Some individuals just run these connections up out the top-plate....usually to show-off their fancy gold plated inter-connects & banana plugs.....but the downside is routing the cables such as to not melt down touching your tubes.
Just some things to think about.

__________________________________________________ _________Rick.....
Old 1st April 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

look at my post on april 1. My plate is 12" X 18" X 1/8" 25-8-5 output

Hide this!Advertise here!