• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mosfet breakdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If my shooting-from-the-hip calculations are right, a 10k resistor (same as R14/24) in place of the CCS should give you something that roughly works. The gain will be down quite a bit, but at least it would serve as a useful test. The resistor would go across the pads for the A and K terminals. Nothing would connect to where the G terminal was.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/98704.pdf

If my shooting-from-the-hip calculations are right, a 10k resistor (same as R14/24) in place of the CCS should give you something that roughly works. The gain will be down quite a bit, but at least it would serve as a useful test. The resistor would go across the pads for the A and K terminals. Nothing would connect to where the G terminal was.

Can i test it only in one channel? I have a 1,1 and a 9,1Kohms resistors which will gave in series 10.2Kohms

One question though, how the 12AT7 will be feed? B+ will at R14/R24 :confused:

Done it Russ.

I end with a B+ ~460VDC, ~350VDC after R14 and ~250VDC 12AT7 plate

It's the mosfet right?

The 10M45S have this characteristic: "Instantaneously reacting resetable
fuses" Does he shut down to protect himself from high voltages? B+ reach around 490VDC when the rectifier tube is warming up :confused:

thank you

Done it Russ.

I end with a B+ ~460VDC, ~350VDC after R14 and ~250VDC 12AT7 plate

~250V on the plate is about right. That channel should play music now, albeit with lower gain than it should.

It's the mosfet right?

I don't understand this question. You are not using any MOSFETs right now, right?

The 10M45S have this characteristic: "Instantaneously reacting resetable
fuses" Does he shut down to protect himself from high voltages? B+ reach around 490VDC when the rectifier tube is warming up :confused:

The "Instantaneously reacting resetable fuses" comment is under "applications" and not "features." They are saying that you can make a resetable fuse circuit using this part.

490VDC at startup is pretty normal. Keep in mind that at startup, the tube is cold and not drawing any current. The CCS sees no voltage across it at first because the tube is an open circuit. As the tube starts to conduct, the CCS will want to push 9mA through it so the CCS will have a very small voltage across it. As the tube reaches operating temp, the voltage across the CCS will rise until it reaches 80-100V or so.

~250V on the plate is about right. That channel should play music now, albeit with lower gain than it should.

Yes it plays ;)

I don't understand this question. You are not using any MOSFETs right now, right?

Yes, only in one channel though. Replaced the other one with the resistor you suggested and take the readings.

I was asking if the mosfets are burn/faulty?

The "Instantaneously reacting resetable fuses" comment is under "applications" and not "features." They are saying that you can make a resetable fuse circuit using this part.

490VDC at startup is pretty normal. Keep in mind that at startup, the tube is cold and not drawing any current. The CCS sees no voltage across it at first because the tube is an open circuit. As the tube starts to conduct, the CCS will want to push 9mA through it so the CCS will have a very small voltage across it. As the tube reaches operating temp, the voltage across the CCS will rise until it reaches 80-100V or so.

Ok, i understood :)

You are being a very good help :up: If it play again i will baptize him with your name :D

Very simple test for a MOSFET. There are better ways using a small battery instead of the meter to charge the gate. Just Google it.

MOSFET testing

Since the resistor method is working, I am really confused about why your CCSs are failing. :confused:

It works now, at least for a full week :D

I have to thank you Russ for the help and patiente, the resistors test was essential to see it was a mosfet failure :cool: I order DN2540 ones and installed them. They are working.

I have now 260/270/280VDC (it depends wich valve i use) 12AT7 plate voltage and 2.2VDC cathode... the valve runs at 10mA. A little high but i don't have a more suitable resistors.

Thank you ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.