Basic questions on configuring Tube AMP - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 5th March 2013, 03:22 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Well, the safe thing to do is buy smaller slo-blo fuses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi4422 View Post
What I have now are fast bo fuses. I am using 240V so I will buy lower amp fuses.
Anyway, should I wait to unpin the transformer-heater pins or is it possible to check it with the current fuses I have ?
If you unsolder/unscrew the green filament transformer leads from the board and leave out the rectifier, you can test with a fuse that you have, although a smaller amp fuse is desirable. You'll basically be testing your power transformer by itself. Convince yourself of this by looking at the schematic.

If the fuse doesn't blow, then you can suspect something in the heater circuit (simple enough...). That would be forward progress. You already know that the fuse blows with the rectifier tube out, and your FREDs aren't connected, so all that is still connected is the heater circuit. Convince yourself of this by looking at the schematic.

If it blows, you won't know if it's because of transformer inrush current blowing the fast-blow fuse, or if you have something else going on.

Can you steal a smaller fuse out of something else around the house when the wife is not looking?

When you disconnect the heater wires, tape them off so they do not short on anything.
Old 5th March 2013, 04:57 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

So I made this test ( unsolder T1-grn ) with no rectifier tube and Sw1-SW1connected by jumper using fast blo 1.25amp . The fuse was blown.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:07 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Remove the jumper on SW1 and try it again. At some point, you should not be blowing fuses with everything disconnected.

If the fuse blows without the transformer secondaries connected to anything, you'll need some slow blow fuses to continue, like 1 amp rated slow blows.

Last edited by boywonder; 5th March 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:23 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Doesn't work again. Same phenomena.
Does the transformers should make any noise when they work? because I dont hear anything
Old 5th March 2013, 06:08 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Buy extra fuses.......

Quote:
Doesn't work again. Same phenomena.
Does the transformers should make any noise when they work? because I dont hear anything
Yes, it should buzz a tiny bit when connected to the board. They usually buzz alot when they are shorted, followed by a thick acrid smoke that stinks if left connected long enough.

You need to double-check your wiring to the primary side of the transformer. Are you using the Edcor XPWR131-240? If you are, you should have your mains wiring going through a power switch and fuse on the hot side, then connected to one of the transformer's black wires, and the other mains lead connected directly to the other black wire of the transformer primary.

Are you familiar with the light bulb trick for getting an amp running? You take an old power cord, and wire plain old incandescent light bulb in series with one conductor of the cord, and use this cord to get the amp running. If your amp is working normally, the bulb will be very dim since the amp won't be pulling excessive current. If the amp has a short (as yours presently does) it will glow brightly. This does several good things; it's drops voltage during a short condition to help save things downstream like fuses and amp parts, and allows you to see instantly that you have a problem (if the bulb glows bright) and yank the plug.

At this point, I would disconnect all of the transformer secondary wires going to the board, tape them off and power up the transformer. If the fuse blows then, you either have a wiring problem going into the transformer on the mains side or a problem with the transformer.

That fact that you mentioned that the transformer is silent and you are blowing fuses makes me suspicious of your wiring from the house mains to the transformer.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Light bulb trick..

Easy light bulb limiter - Hoffman Ampifiers Guitar Tube amp forum
Old 5th March 2013, 06:50 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Well this is interesting and I am a bit confused. The Edcor wiring says "
Black - input voltage
Green/White - common
I am using 3 pin connector (as in the computers)
There are 3 connectors in the back of the jack. One is ground and two of them are somehow connected together (short) and are on the same side (one is in the back of the fuse and one is in the back of the left pin). Nothing is on the right side of the pins.
Click the image to open in full size.

What goes where ?
Old 5th March 2013, 06:52 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Light bulb trick wiring:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light bulb.JPG (796.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 5th March 2013, 07:00 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well this is interesting and I am a bit confused. The Edcor wiring says "
Black - input voltage
Green/White - common
I am using 3 pin connector (as in the computers)
There are 3 connectors in the back of the jack. One is ground and two of them are somehow connected together (short) and are on the same side (one is in the back of the fuse and one is in the back of the left pin). Nothing is on the right side of the pins.

What goes where ?
Your pictures are a little small......can you post a close up that's a little larger?

What colors are the primary wires from the Edcor? What model Edcor are you using? If you look closely at your power entry module, you may see L (line), N (neutral), E (earth) near the terminals, or L1, L2, E.

Sounds like you may have a short at the power entry module. WITH THE AMP UNPLUGGED, take your ohm meter and check if your two hot leads are shorted together at the module. Since you are in 240V land, you should have 2 hots and one earth, and the corresponding terminals on the power entry module.

If you are using an int'l std power cord, your brown and blue leads are hot, and the green (or green/yellow) is earth ground.
Old 5th March 2013, 07:09 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hide this!Advertise here!