• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

HELP! Power transformer hot and hums.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High pitched? Not 60 or 120Hz?

Yes I wondered about that also! Strange! Could he have DC on his line voltage that Edcor's don't work well with?

Randy

If so, please tell me how to get rid of it. It's hooked up to a line conditioner. It was well reviewed when I got it many years ago. I have a triplite ac transformer type line treatment in the attic. It is supposed to stop voltage fluctuation. Could be snake oil, but it's a heavy little box.

I finally got around to taking the temperature. The side of the transformer closest to the tubes is 139 degrees Fahrenheit. The side farthest away from the tubes is 128. Measurement taken with a decent meter applied to the metal laminations, not the Bell ends. The hum has gotten better. I ccould live with it if I knew for sure it won't blow. Also, I want to be able to use sold state. I might send it back. I have an email in to the owner. No response yet. New builders on a budget should get the Allied. It is a great transformer for the money.

Hi all, I've a query ref PT's getting hot so thought I'd tag onto this thread.

I've an SSE using the edcor xpwr059 pt to suit the uk mains voltage we have here.

My pt gets really hot and has a bit of a buzz all the time. How hot it gets depends on what tube I'm using. With EL34's its gets really hot. It takes a hour or so to get up to full temp but full temp means I fail the both hands on for 10 seconds test, probably about 5 or 6 seconds before I complain.

With 6L6GC's it gets right on the limit hands on heat.

With Kt88's its warm.

My R17 and 27 resistors are the stock 560ohm choice so I'm not changing them to suit the tube but the 560ohm choice is very nearly the limit for EL34's but is a very safe choice for kt88's. 6L6's are somewhere in between. The temperature that the pt gets to reflects the cathode resistor/tube load combo but my concern is, should it really be getting too hot to touch for more than a few seconds? And it buzzes all the time regardless of what tube I use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.