• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

What's that smell?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With recent interest in switching cathode resistors, I thought I'd mention that with Gold Lion KT-88s, I get a burnt smell after awhile.

Visual inspection of the 5Watt 560 Ohm Bias resistors and the other 3Watters shows no burns. No issues at all with EH 6CA7s, Shuguang EL-34s or SED 6550s.

I have 10 Watt WW Vishays on hand and will try the 88s again with'm as soon as I finish a speaker project.

In other news, a Denon 103R arrived before it's step-up transformer parts and I have it playing straight in to my MM phono stage. Volume at 3:00 to get good listening levels and hardly even any tube rush.

Damn, George, that's a quiet circuit!

I have never used any expensive tubes, so I have no knowledge of the Gold Lions. I have seen new octal tubes that have a metal ring around the base smell funny for the first week or so. It seems to be from the glue in the base curing. Do you have another amp to try the tubes in?

You might try pulling the hot tube to see if it smells funny when hot. I must mention the obvious, switch the amp off before yanking. Use something to insulate your hand. I use an "Ove Glove". Don't touch it to your nose!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.