• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SPP power supply choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to insert a small choke in front of resistor R109 for additional filtering of the power supply at the input stage. I am thinking of the Hammond 158L rated at 15H and 75mA at 411 Ohm DCR. Would a substitution of the resistor to one whose value is 1.1K work? This would give a total value of 1.5K (411 + 1100=1511 Ohms) as initially intended.

If the answer is yes, I figure that the $50 dollars spent on the 2 chokes should (emphasis on "should") offer a decent improvement. What do you guys think?

That choke has too much DCR for the currents that the SPP needs. Even if you bypass it with a resistor like that, it will still see ~125mA. It will also diminish the choke's effect.

A common choice for a budget choke is the Triad C-14X (6H, 200mA, 150ohm) from Allied. It's only $16, has the same DCR as the resistor it replaces, and can handle the current required.

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply, but you probably misunderstood what I am looking to do. Besides the main power supply choke which could be the Triad, I am trying to put another filtering stage in front of the input/driver stage. If you look at the schematic, cap C102 is the last filter cap that the the small signal tubes see and along with R102, they form a second filtering stage. I would like to insert the small choke in parallel with R102, and reduce that resistor's value to 1.1K so that the total resistance across this choke-resistor pair remains at 1.5KOhms. Do you think this would be worthwhile sonicwize given the relatively small outlay?

How much of the power supply ripple/noise is getting through that filter stage and how much do you need to decrease it?

That is where I would start...then you know what you need in terms of increased filtering at the appropriate frequency of ripple/noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.